Subscriber Discussion

Axis Camera - How To Allow Customer To Turn Motion Emails On / Off?

BE
Brian Elias
Nov 07, 2016

I have been using Axis Camera Companion lately on smaller installations, and I've been happy with reliability and performance (< 10 cameras, SanDisk high endurance SD cards).  A lot of customers ask for email alerts when motion is detected, and although it's not directly support by ACC it's easy enough to configure using the camera's web interface.

On a recent install, the customer asked me to provide them a method to enable / disable the alerts.  There are 4 cameras; but a group enable / disable would be fine.  I'm looking for some ideas on how to do this in a secure + simple method.  

I considered using a VAPIX command (URL) to enable/disable events.  The problem is that this requires embedding the username and password in plain-text, and reducing the "password type" to unencrypted only in order to make this work.

I also thought about creating a GMail account that acted as a "forwarder" and giving the customer access to enable / disable forwarding on this account.  But I can't find a good way to accomplish this on a mobile device either (GMail appears to require a desktop interface to make this change.

Any ideas would be great.  Thanks!

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Nov 07, 2016

if the camera has I/O's, you can set an additional condition for the email event on the camera so that an input has to be active for the emails to send, and then wire the output on the camera directly into the input so they can control this input from the camera webpage using the output control button.

i believe you can create a view-only account to the camera or a limited account and either give those credentials or use VAPIX to control the output on the camera's webpage

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions