Subscriber Discussion

Changing FPS On Alarm With Major Vmses?

JS
John Saunders
Nov 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is there any reason why the major VMSes (Genetec, Milestone, Exacq, others of that ilk) could not bump up recording on alarm? As an example record IP cameras within the system typically at 7.5 fps, and on alarm move to 30 fps (on a per camera basis). I'm getting push back from a manufacturer and an integrator on being able to do so. I would have thought this a fairly common functionality. Maybe I'm wrong?

SD
Sinisa Dumanic
Nov 02, 2016

You can do that in Milestone VMS. I'm sure for Expert and Corporate version. For lower versions you need to check.

(1)
Kestutis Nagys
Nov 03, 2016

Yes, in Milestone Advanced products (Corporate and Expert) you can use rule system to change camera stream settings triggered by event (you must have start and stop events, or set timer). In Professional products (Essential, Express and Professional) you can use recording speed up feature if you are using MJPEG for recordings, or you can choose "record key frames only" option for non alarm condition and full frame recording in case of some events, of course it is valid only for H.264.

Ron Miller
Nov 02, 2016
RMT

John,

I was in that world for a long time and it has been 8 or 9 years since this was not available on every major VMS.

TB
Tyler Barnett
Nov 02, 2016

This might be more of a camera functionality, I know avigilon now has idle scene mode where the FPS is set low then once you have motion it kicks up to a defined Frame. However the issue might exist of an integration issue between having two things (VMS & Camera) work in conjunction to operate correctly.

Example camera A is running at 5FPS then all of a sudden jumps to 15FPS the VMS would need some type of information to jump up then back down. I would think this would be established easily when a VMS is doing motion recording on camera side however when its doing recording on the VMS side thats a lot of load of determining etc.

Just my 2cents

BC
Bede Cammock-Elliott
Nov 02, 2016

For what it is worth, Geovision VMS can do this. You can set up each channel to record say 3x FPS 24/7, but on alarm, motion detect etc it starts recording to the full FPS you have told it to.

JS
John Saunders
Nov 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the responses. The integrator, using one of the products noted in the responses, says he has been told it can't be done. I disagreed, and will now be going to insist on it. Thanks.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

One caveat as to the real world application of this feature:

The VMS, after the alarm is triggered, makes a new rtsp request for the faster frame rate to the camera. Depending on the camera this can take several hundred milliseconds to establish. So there may be a little added latency there. Also, when the camera gets hit with the new request, sometimes I have seen it drop several frames or more, probably because it is temporarily maxed out.

Needless to say, losing frames because you need more frames is frustrating.

This was a few years back, hopefully todays cameras have the HP to pull it off without glitching.

(1)
(1)
Brian Anderson, CPP®
Nov 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

With Exacq you can do something similar. record 24/7 at 1 FPS. when motion/alarm kicks on it bumps it up to 2-30 FPS.

Greg Hussey
Nov 03, 2016

it all depends on the integration with the camera (not just the VMS)...

if it is some crap camera and the integrator is trying or thinking of using ONVIF which might only have the capability to send video for example, then this wouldn't be possible regardless of the VMS.

The VMS has to be able to communicate to the camera to change said resolution or frame rate, if this capability doesn't exist well then....

motion detection is another example of this type of issue.

EXACQ for years was going around saying they supported millions of cameras but when you dug in this was crap, it required you to set up motion detection on the camera, not through the VMS, for the ones that you could through the VMS, it killed the CPU etc.

these issues are likely when using Genetec of Milestone for example and one of the hundreds of different models from manufacturers like Hikvision and Dahua. They are not supproted fully if at all. Could we get one of their cameras through some generic drive to work on the VMS, sure but that is it, just be able to see/record video. No bi-directional communications through the API for things like changing resolution of frame rate.

I bet $100 of monopoly money that this is the issue, the VMS supports what you are asking for but they picked a camera that is not fully supported by the VMS. This is going to happen with the push to use these chinese company crap products that offer 10s of models and nobody has the time or money to write drivers to at the legitimate VMS companies.

SP
Sean Patton
Nov 03, 2016

As everyone else has noted, there are some variables involved, but every major VMS I've worked with (Genetec, Exacq, ONSSI, etc) support this in some fashion.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions