VMS Installer Sizes Getting Out of Control

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 11, 2016

I must be spoiled here I have the Genetec install downloaded in about 5 minutes. I have our sites pretty well documented so being ready with the proper installers is usually not a big deal. Now Cumulative updates and hotfixes are a whole other story.

(1)
(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

I have the Genetec install downloaded in about 5 minutes

So 4.2TB in 300 seconds? Am I missing something? That's 14GB/s?

[Edit / Correction: 4.2GB, so it's 14MB/s or 112Mb/s.]

(2)
jS
johan Schorreel
Oct 11, 2016

Missing a G in the T and it becomes and M ?

but 14MB/s is pretty decent !

Vincent Tong
Oct 11, 2016

4.2GB i think would be 14MB/s . That would be doable, my downloads are 100Mb/s here.

Campbell Chang
Oct 11, 2016

Actually it's not.

100 megabit a second is approx 12.5 megabytes a second and that's your theoretical max. In all likelihood it will be slower due to a range of things.

RV
Radu Vadeanu
Oct 11, 2016

I would like to add that Avignon Server include client app and latest firmware update. Also the new client stand-alone, no installation required, is 40MB.

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 11, 2016

Any you can get the server only .MSI which is 551MB

(1)
Mike Dotson
Oct 11, 2016
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

These large sizes are a main reason why we've had them available to 'preload' on our Server an Client machines for several years now.

With the Genetec one..you have to use a NON FAT32 formatted USB drive because 2GB is the largest a file can be.

(2)
dw
dean woodyatt
Oct 11, 2016

FAT32 is limited to just a shade under 4GB on most modern FAT32 implementations.

only a few really old PC's will have the 2GB limit....so, actually thinking about it, 80% of VMS installs running on core2duo's then may have issues ;-)

MI
Matt Ion
Oct 11, 2016

It's not limited to VMS packages - several camera manufacturers' "finder" tools can only be (easily) found as part of a bloated management/NVR/VMS bundle.

If memory serves, last time I needed to download a finder for Samsung cameras, the only thing available was a 130-something MB download of their camera management tool. Which is great and very convenient if you're setting up an entire site with their cameras, but a lot if you just need to find one or two cameras on the network. Arecont was the same thing at one time - the only "finder" I could track down was the full-on tool that needed to be installed. It took complaining on a forum about the (complete lack of) quality of that tool that led to someone sending me their little lightweight standalone finder, which wasn't anywhere on their website.

Printers and all-in-one printer/scanner units are the same - while most have small standalone driver downloads available, they're often hidden far below the more prominent "full software package" that can often be 300-500MB.

(1)
Ryan Hulse
Oct 11, 2016

Correction to exacqVision: The 164MB download is a bundle of client, server, and web service. You do not need to download an additional 78MB client; it's already in the 164MB file.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Oct 11, 2016

Thanks, Ryan, fixing that.

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 12, 2016

Avigilon is the same way. Client is included with the server download.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Oct 11, 2016

I notice a lot of those "VMS shootout" articles seem to have lost their video links, including I think the one mentioned in the article above - VMS Installation Comparison. These as well:

VMS Live shootout

VMS mapping shootout

John Scanlan
Oct 12, 2016
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

U2 - These are update now, thank you.

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 11, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Wow, I never realized how spoiled we are only having to download ~150MB. 4+GB would take a long time on my 24mbps max Uverse connection.

(1)
dw
dean woodyatt
Oct 11, 2016

err, who really cares?

if you're heading out to site to do anything on a VMS, isn't it prudent to have a couple of USB's with the latest and greatest already downloaded and ready to go?

(5)
MI
Matt Ion
Oct 14, 2016

Great theory, until you run into something you weren't prepared for and have to download it on the spot.

John Bazyk
Oct 12, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Our techs have USB drives with regularly updated firmware/software. When something new is released, we load it on their USB drives for them to take in the field. Most of our "technical work" is done over TeamViewer so the tech plugs in the USB drive while the guy at the office does the rest. We used to download everything from whatever website we needed it from, but we felt that was a waste of time.

(2)
Christopher Uiterwyk
Oct 12, 2016
IPConfigure

IPConfigure Orchid "wins" at 86.1MB. Many of the other VMS platforms include .NET in their installer, which is both a gross dependency and large in size.

IPConfigure Orchid - 86MB

(4)
Brian Karas
Oct 12, 2016
IPVM

Christopher -

Is that 100% of the code and dependencies, or is it in the fashion of an online installer where additional components are downloaded during installation?

Christopher Uiterwyk
Oct 12, 2016
IPConfigure

100% of the code and dependancies. Try it out... http://www.ipconfigure.com/products/orchid

U
Undisclosed #4
Oct 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Blue Iris ~60MB

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 12, 2016

Sizes vary drastically, from 150-160 MB for Exacq and Network Optix to over 4 GB for Genetec Security Center.

OK, but would you rather date Miley Cyrus or Kate Upton? ;)

VK
Vasiles Kiosses
Oct 12, 2016

Some VMS' have a parent system (base) which allows for download via a web link so remains internal on the customer network. They also provide automated updates to the recording servers so work in background without any effort. Once the update system is setup, there is no further need to download from the vendors site unless doing a major upgrade on the core VMS.

David McNeill
Jan 20, 2017

Some of the blame falls to Microsoft.

It's clumsy install system, and lack of dependency management & packaging infrastructure, and monolithic applications mean a lot of manual work, and little cross sharing of common libraries.

Well made installs on Linux are much more straight forward, one command line's worth to install, another for operating system shared components, from a huge available library. All easily scriptable, repeatable, remotable.

Possibly one reason NX Witness is smaller.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions