First Assignment: Introduce Yourself

Brian Rhodes
Sep 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello everyone! Welcome.

This is the 'class members only' discussion area for the Fall 2016 Camera Course.

All your questions and feedback have a home being posted here. We will have 'assignment discussions' every week that require your participation, so bookmark this forum.

For your first assignment: introduce yourself! Explain who you are, who you work for, and your main motivation for taking the class.

I'll start it off: I am Brian Rhodes (see: my LinkedIn profile page) Feel free to email me anytime at:brian@ipvm.com.

I've been with IPVM almost five years. Before then, I was the engineering manager for a security integrator in the South-Central USA. (and a regular IPVM member!) With IPVM's help, I was able to help make their transition from analog CCTV to IP based HD surveillance.

And with the evolution of SD analog to HD analog, it has changed yet again. What an exciting time!

I really enjoy interacting with and learning from you, our students. Regardless if you're a camera novice or veteran - you'll enjoy and grow with the class!

Now it's your turn: introduce yourself!

(1)
John Scanlan
Sep 13, 2016
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

I am John Scanlan (see: my LinkedIn profile page) Feel free to email me anytime at:jscanlan@ipvm.com. I will be teaching this class with Brian.

Before joining IPVM I worked as a FE for some of the largest retailers & banks, owned a small business dealing communications equipment to hedge funds, and before that worked my way from Intern to Regional IT Manager.

ER
Ed Ruggiero
Sep 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello my name is Ed Ruggiero and I am a Technology Consulting Engineer in Danbury, CT who wants to expand his knowledge of CCTV and IP camera technology. I passed the Spring Access Control Course which was a great experience and tremendously helpful to expand my knowledge. Looking forward to another great experience with IPVM!

(1)
AN
Adam Neagle
Sep 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello class my name is Adam Neagle and I am a network technician for Schneider Electric in Homewood, IL. I am new to the industry and trying to gain as much knowledge as I can. In this position with Schneider we deal with a lot of different camera types and I would like to be able to understand the basics as well as in-depth information about the inner workings and operations. I have taken many online courses and this course seems to take the same approach from what I have seen in the past. I am excited for the opportunity to take this course and look forward to what I will learn.

(1)
DM
David Martello
Sep 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi , I'm David Martello with Schneider Electric in Homwood, IL. I am a Network Technician but I also do a lot of work with security camera systems. I am looking to expand my knowledge in the IP video realm. This is my first experience with IPVM, but I have heard many great things and look forward to this course.

(1)
LM
Lance Miller
Sep 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello,

Starting online class sept. 20

Thanks,

Lance

Brian Rhodes
Sep 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello Lance:

Welcome! Tell us more about yourself.

TF
Timothy Farrell
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hey, Lance!

LM
Lance Miller
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hey Stanger.....

Tooma Chong
Sep 14, 2016

Dear Brian,

Its a pleasure getting to know you. This course is actually for my new staff, Sajit Satishan who is doing an IT course and wishes to focus his young career into video surveillance hence joined Digifort, developer of VMS. He has no CCTV, both analogue and Network types experience, but he has been put through some crash course and it is ongoing. Plus I will be making sure he go through all the reading materials you have online.

Although the market has changed to Network devices, but the fundamentals about Video itself which relates to lenses are other topics you will cover will be important for him to learn and understand.

Sometimes, moulding the young generation in a manner that suits our company's vision and our team spirit is a worthwhile investment, despite his lack of experience, as long as the dedication and the passion is there within the individual.

This will be an asset complimenting his knowledge in IT.

He will be joining in from Sydney Australia, so the timing will be a challenge. The time you have mentioned just to be sure, is based on the time in Hawai?

Anyhow, I leave Sanjit in your capable hands and look forward to his success.

Regards

Tooma Chong

Brian Rhodes
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello Tooma: I am emailing you now sir. Thanks.

LL
Lance La Placa
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi All, I am Lance with Invision Technologies. We do pretty much anything that deals with IT. Just trying to gain more knowledge about cameras so we can give expert advice/integration/installation of our products for any application. Looking forward to the couse!

(1)
TW
Timothy Wackford
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi Everyone,

I am Timothy Wackford and I am the Physical Security Manager for the United States Park Police in Washington DC. I have been in the Physical Security field for about the last five years sinc retiring from the US Coast Guard. I am looking to expand my knowledge base in regards to Camera Systems especially in the area of advances in IP based technology and the process of transitioning from an Analog system to IP. This is my second class through IPVM, I took the Fall Access Control System course, and am really looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Tim

(1)
TW
Timothy Wackford
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Actually it was the Spring Access Control Course not the Fall.....time flies when you're having fun.

(2)
(1)
KD
Ken Dy
Sep 14, 2016

Hi all,

I'm Ken and I work as a hardware engineer for a global CCTV manufacturer based in Sydney, Australia. I've been working for the company for the past couple of years assisting with the roll out of hundreds of new security systems for major projects. Looking to expand my knowledge on cameras and learn more as we delve into IP-related systems and networks.

Ciao!

(1)
Philip Jenkins
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I am Phil Jenkins. My email is pjenkins@matcjv.com.

I am a Sr. Communications Project Engineer for Metropolitan Atlanta Transit Consultants. MATC is a Joint Venture of Professional Engineers serving as the General Engineering Consultants for MARTA, the Public Transit System in Atlanta, Georgia.

In my present role, I develop Project Specifications and Engineering Drawings to be used for CCTV / Telephone / Wireless / PA / Fare Gate Projects.

I am taking the class to better familiarize myself with more of the video basics.

(1)
DH
Dan Hoekstra
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello all, I Dan and I am a Software Engineer for Schneider Electric. I have worked on Access Control and Video for over 15 years setting up new systems, training end users, assisting in system design and just about anything else they can have me do. I am looking to refresh my knowledge in some areas and expand it in other through this class, especially when it comes to IP related items.

(1)
KB
Keith Beatty
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello everyone.

My name is Keith Beatty, I am the heading member of D.A. Loewen's expansion into the low voltage/ security division. I was chosen because I'm the only person who didn't call a computer a wizard box.

Just kidding.

I have a background in sales, and business development from my experience in the automotive industry. I am looking forward to developing this small start up for D.A. Loewen with the knowledge I gain both here, and the other courses from IPVM.

#1337honovich

SM
Scott Myers
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi everyone,

I am Scott Myers, I work for Westcare Foundation, a non-profit organization that provides services for the homeless and rehabilitation for addicts. My role is computer hardware/physical security manager. I have taken responsibility over all of our security camera systems across all of our facilities. I am taking this class so I can fully understand the aspects of IP cameras. I will use what I learn in this class to implement it in our current and future projects. My background is 10 years Active Duty Air Force in the Cyber Systems Operations career field.

(1)
Jim Voige
Sep 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello Everyone

I am Jim Voige, I work for Cheyenne Propagation Company as the manager for our tower site which is 60 acres on top of a 9,500 foot mountain. We maintain a very large fiber network on our site. The network includes Modbus, VOIP, IP Camera, access control, Broadcast Transmitters Two Way Radios and facilities management. I have a background in radio communications system design and have worked in the radio industry for over 35 years. I am also a certfied Firefighter/EMT for over 30 years and volunteer with the local sheriffs office as part of the emergency response team. I am looking to better understand the camera offerings in the industry and the best uses for each. We seem to have tried all the bad ones already. We also have the unique experience of having our equipment blown up by lightning on a regular basis. 400 foot steel towers tend to attract alot of lightning at 9500 feeet.

(1)
Lisa Price
Sep 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi, my name is Lisa and I'm really looking forward to this class! I have been in Physical Security for six years and have been spec'ing IP cameras for most of those years. However, I would like to know more about them, especially since there are so many available!

(1)
Terry Hoffman
Sep 16, 2016

Good day, I am Terry Hoffman based out of Barrie, Ontario, Canada. I am a professional Security Management Consultant that deals with security and life safety issues from risk to emergency readiness. I am taking this course to further understand the IP Video Surveillance sector to better my knowledge and delivery skills. I have been a Consultant in this space for 15+ years. Looking forward to discussion and forums.

Terry Hoffman, CPP, CBCP

(1)
BB
Brian Boucherle
Sep 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello everyone,

My name is Brian Boucherle. I am an intern currently working for Matterhorn Consulting, which is a sales consulting company run by my father, Paul Boucherle. I have a background in inside/outside sales and recruiting.

I am taking this course because I am eager to break into the security industry. In order for me to succeed, I am looking to learn as much as possible about security products by understanding how they operate and function.

I look forward to working with everyone involved.

(2)
CH
Chad Huggins
Sep 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

My name is Chad Huggins and I am a Physical Security Analyst with Westar Energy in Topeka, KS. I want to have a better idea of the technology in camera systems. I want to better understand the technical specifications with security camera equipment so I know what equipment to spec for future projects.

(1)
Ricardo Souza
Sep 17, 2016
Motorola Solutions • IPVMU Certified

Hey Everyone,
My name is Ricardo Souza and I´m from Brazil. I´ve worked for IndigoVision as Partner Support for the last 3y. Before that i used to work in Pre Sales for Networking Equipment and got a CCNA and CCDA.
I´ve been a susbcriber and follower of IPVM for almost 3 years now and it has helped me learn a lot about this cctv world. It´s time to test my skills =)

(1)
RA
Rabee Awad
Sep 18, 2016

i am Rabee Awad , i have around six years experience in ELV system ,right now i have new function as a design engineer , i want to expand my knowledge in CCTV system ,so that i can pass in my new job experience .

(1)
Davíð Rúnar Jóhannesson
Sep 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi all, I’m David. I’ve been working as a Technician in CCTV systems in Iceland for the last five years, working with intruder and access control systems for ten years before that. I currently work in Product Management in my company. Since my job involves testing and evaluating new cameras, I specially enjoy reading IPM’s in depth tests. Looking forward to refresh and advance my knowledge of IPC’s.

GF
Giulio Fedel
Sep 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm Giulio Fedel, Italy. I work for a system integrator company, and my role is team coordinator for video surveillance. I've recently concluded the IP networking course and I've found it pretty useful in recapitulate and extend my knowledge on the matter. I really think I'll get the same benefits from this course as well!

JM
John Munt
Sep 18, 2016

Hi I'm John Munt I run a small growing company in the UK. I have been in security for a few years now, progressing from industrial doors and automation into access control, intruder and CCTV. With integration going in its current direction all facets of security are becoming more deeply integrated. This is not my 1st training course with IVPM and I look forward to benefitting from Brian and Johns wisdom. You can never know it all in this field, just as you pin it down it evolves on you!

AS
Ann Shoemaker
Sep 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi, I'm Ann Shoemaker. I've been in the security field for about 20 years, first as an installer then as a detailer, now using 3D modeling to place and fine-tune cameras in design documents. I look forward to learning more about the nuts & bolts of security video cameras!

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 18, 2016

Hello,

My name is Charles and i'm a network junior engineer.

Today I have some knowledge in IP Video Surveillance but i want to learn more in order to properly understand how cameras operate and function.

This course is important for me because i will start new important CCTV project for my company so I expect to be more efficient to carry out this project.

Thanks

(1)
Matthew Warren
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi All,

My name is Matt Warren and I am with Warren Associates. We are manufactures rep full service representative in AV, Security, and Datacom. I have been with Warren Associates for about 8 months and want to understand Cameras better.

(1)
NS
Nick Sunderman
Sep 19, 2016
Thomasson Marketing Group • IPVMU Certified

Hi,

I am Nick Sunderman and I work for Post Alarm Systems in Arcadia California. I have been in the industry for 33 years and feel a need to improve my camera knowledge to stay relevant in the ever changing camera market.

(1)
TH
Tim Hamilton
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello,

My name is Tim Hamilton. I'm a Project Manager with Dillard Security Services out of Memphis, TN, USA. I'm new to the security industry. I previously worked as a Project Manger in the IT/POS industry. I have some experience with IP and analog camera systems, but wanted to get a deeper knowledge on the subject. I'm also finishing up my Bachelors in I.T. and looking forward to continuing my education with a Masters in Cyber Security.

(1)
Tyler Green
Sep 19, 2016
Continue Digital • IPVMU Certified

Greetings All,

My name is Tyler Green and I work with University of Manitoba Security Services as a Systems Administrator. We currently have a collection of over 750 cameras attached to over 90 recorders located across 3 campuses. Most of these cameras are aging analog technology - but we are currently in the process of upgrading our system to a state of the art IP system. We have an integrator involved in the upgrade, but since I'm heavily involved with the planning of the new system, I want to make sure I am as up-to-date as possible with the different cameras/technologies available.

I look forward to this course, and potentially the networking course in a few months!

(1)
MH
Matt Han
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi everyone,

My name is Matt Han, General manager & Sales rep of Infinite Pixels Electronic USA Inc.

We do OEM with other manufacture and carry all types of CCTVs and DVRs.

I am taking this courses because I have been working in this field only a year so I would like to know more about CCTV in order to support my customers.

I hope I can provide better service to my customers and increase my sales after taking these courses.

MB
Martin Breceda
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi All,

I am Martin Breceda and I am currently a Jr. Systems Engineer for the Microsoft Global Security Org. This is my first course through IPVM and I am excited to advance my skills and use the knowledge gained from this course to improve my day to day duties as well as become a stronger asset on my team.

MR
Mirko Ruggeri
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Good Morning everyone, my name is Mirko Ruggeri, I spent the past 30 years in Law Enforcement and the Personal Protection side of the Private Security Sector.

I am the Global Outside Sales Manager for V5 Systems in Fremont,CA and we are keeping busy creating a video-surveillance, self-powered solution that supports various analytics and sensors.

Although in my LE days I was exposed to interesting gadgets for surveillance and tracking, my goal is to learn and better understand the tech side of my new career.

Thank you IPVM !

Donavan Paul
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello everyone!

I am Donavan Paul of Lifeline IT Group of Companies "LitsGroup" a Bahamian security integration company and I am looking forward to a vendor neutral security experience consisting of the industries brightest minds!

JA
Jason Aardsma
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

My name is Jason Aardsma and I work for the Homewood, IL branch of Schneider Electric. I've been working with IP cameras to an extent through my going on four year stint with the company and am looking to expand said knowledge.

(1)
Michael Arteaga
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Good Day all.

I am Michael Arteaga, Director of Special Operations at Lifeline IT Group of Companies. Looking forward to learning more in this area.

(1)
RA
Rick Aylward
Sep 19, 2016

Hi Everyone

My name is Rick Aylward; I am a senior application support engineer for 3xLogic Inc based in their Victoria, BC Canada engineering dev-support office.

Like a few other class members, I am new to the industry and trying to gain as much knowledge and exposure as I can.

In this position with 3xLogic we deal with a lot of different camera types and I would like to be able to understand the basics as well as in-depth information about their inner workings, config settings and operations. This is my first exposure to IPVM: I am a complete "newby' to the industry....

Best Regards

Rick

(1)
WW
WYNNE WALKER
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Wynne Walker with Symbio. We are a high-end residential technology firm looking to increase our knowledge on our camera systems.

(1)
DF
Daniel Foster
Sep 19, 2016

Dan Foster, based in Suwanee, GA (just outside of Atlanta).

Work for Verizon IoT Smart Communities as the Product manager for Intelligent Video a solution targeted for both governments and the enterprise.

Looking to expand my knowledge of cameras and the underlying technologies to improve the designs that I create for our customers.

RS
Rui Silva
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi, my name is Rui Silva and I work for a company that develops equipments for parking applications. I'm relatively inexperienced in surveillance and hope to improve my knowledge with this course.

(1)
PS
Pálmi Steingrímsson
Sep 20, 2016

Hi, my name is Pálmi Steingrímsson and live in Iceland. I am new in the security camera business. I have been in the computer business since 2000 mainly in EMC storage solutions, also in the payment business where my only client was British Airways.
I am looking forward to learn from all of you here at IPVM and elsewhere

AK
Abhinav Kumar
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi All,

I am Abhinav Kumar and I am currently working with Target Corporation as Senior Engineer in Target Video Solution branch. This is my first course with IPVM and am very excited to gain knowledge and enhance my skills towards latest camera technology. I have worked with analog cameras from installation to configuration and now working IP cameras.

Thank you.

(1)
Chris Daniels
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello all,

I am Chris Daniels, senior technology designer for HAWA Incorporated. We are an MEP(T) engineering services company. We work with architects and owners to design and specify for contract, commercial buildings and the systems within them. I need to stay as current as I can especially with systems that fall under the IP network design. Video surveillance cameras have huge impact not only in customer requested function but potential bandwidth requirements on the owners network. I am interested in learning all I can about IP video surveillance especially from a manufacturer agnostic source like IPVM. I recently finished the access control course and found it very worth the time and money invested.

(1)
AD
Andrea Dalceggio
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi, my name is Andrea Dalceggio and live in Panama (central america). I am an electrical engineer, working in major civil construction projects. I am new in the security camera business. From the moment I installed security camaras in my house, I was curious to know more, in order to open a small business for residential homes. But before that, I need to study!!.

(1)
MM
Matt McQuin
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello all, my name is Matt McQuin and I have been working in physical security for the last 5 years. I have spent 4 years on the retail side and 1 year in critical infrastructure. I'm really excited to learn more about cameras and how to appropriately spec them.

(1)
AC
Andrew Cordell
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello,

I will be starting the online class sept. 20. Pretty new to the camera industry but I have been working in the IT communications field for almost 20 years. I do have a pretty decent background with optics.

Thanks,

AC

(1)
BL
Ben Linskens
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello, my name is Ben Linskens, I am an inside sales rep for ASR enterprises in Downingtown, PA. I am looking to expand my basic knowledge of security cameras, and develop a better understanding of the basics. I'm looking forward to gaining a broader view on the topic.

(1)
NS
Natalia Sanchez
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello Class,

I am Natalia Sanchez from Genetec Canada. I am the Inside Sales Team leader for Latina America and the Caribbean. I´ve been with Genetec for 6 years. I want to update and improve my camera knowledge.

(1)
Leonard Richardson
Sep 20, 2016

Hello,

My name is Leonard Richardson, and I'm a Security and Surveillance Systems Support Operations Coordinator at the Federal Reserve Bank in St. Louis, Missouri (that's a mouthful! We shorten it to S4 Ops Coordinator in house). I have some experience with the video industry, but not at the corporate level. I am looking forward to increasing my knowledge of cameras with this course. See you in class!

(1)
CS
Chris Shaffer
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello Everyone! I'm Chris Shaffer and I work at 3xLogic in Fishers, IN. I've been with the company almost a year now and focus primarily on our access control product. My goal for this course is to branch out gain knowledge on cameras that may help me in the future.

(1)
MS
Michael Scalise
Sep 20, 2016

Hello,

I'm Michael Scalise and I'm a former Sun Microsystems (Oracle) sys admin. I'm fortunate enough to work with IP cameras as a hobby. I'm hoping to learn not only from this class but from my fellow classmates regarding "real world" applications.

(1)
Jason Buzbee
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello everyone!

My name is Jason Buzbee and I work for a non-profit company in IT. Me and my co-worker Scott are in this class so that we can learn more about IP cameras and configure them for the company. We will be in charge of choosing what cameras, NVR's, and other equipment needs to be purchased for each of our locations and we will be responsible for configuring the equipment for local and remote access. I look forward to learning a lot!

RK
Robert Kressley
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello All,

I am Director of Security at the only hospital in St. Croix USVI, I am also a Auxiliary Officer in the Virgin Islands Police Department, assigned to the Forensic Department. I've been in IT for over 35 years and am a certified Seized Computer Evidence Recovery Specialist among other things. I'm on the N. Fl. ICAC (Internet Crimes Against Children) taskforce.

I just passed the 2016 IP Networking for Surveillance Class and look forward to this class, timing is perfect as I was assigned to a taskforce for the municipal surveillance system on the island.

This and other courses offered by IPvM will enable me to ensure we use our resources wisely. Looking forward to all the networking opportunities.

(1)
TF
Timothy Farrell
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm Tim Farrell and I've been working for SimplexGrinnell for over 13 years. I'm an Operations Technician and am responsible for the programming and configuration of CCTV and access control systems. This is my first IPVM class. I'm hoping that I can learn something new or to identify anything I've learned incorrectly over my many years in the industry.

(1)
TP
Tony Pinella
Sep 20, 2016

Hey Class!

My name is Tony Pinella. I work in the heart of Silicon Valley and have recently joined a startup that is doing some great things with camera technology so I'm taking this class to increase my depth of knowledge.

(1)
GC
Greg Cook
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello,

My name is Greg Cook. I am in Consulting Engineering and would like to expand my knowledge in the proper application of IP camera technology. I am looking forward to the class as it seems to cover all of the details needed in this field.

(1)
JD
Joe DiIenno
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello

My name is Joe D. I for Universal Atlantic System's technical support team. I have been in the industry for about 9 years. I completed the IPVM IP networking course, last year. And excited to gain even more knowledge and expertise from your camera course.

Thank You
Joe

(1)
BK
Bo Kroumov
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi,

I'm Bo Kroumov. I've been involved in IT for the past 30-ish years. My job changed as I have been appointed as Network and Systems Admin about six moths back. This involves primarily the security side of our IT department.

I have never worked with security cameras up until six months ago and even though I have learned quite a bit after complete re-design and overhaul of the system over the summer I would love to get a more structured and in depth knowledge of cameras and surveillance systems.

(1)
RR
Ron Risley
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hello:

my name is Ron Risley, this is my second course with IPVM

(1)
LB
Lucas Barthel
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hi everyone,

My name is Lucas, I have recently joined Solvay (chemical) as a Security Officer in Belgium, I am quite new to the industry and want to get myself up and running.

I will be involved in CCTV projects in the future, I hope to better understand that particular field.

Cheers,

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Sep 20, 2016

Good morning/afternoon! My name is Sandie, and while I have been working in security for many years, I have lot I want to learn in this camera course. Looking forward to the instruction and information sharing!

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions