Subscriber Discussion

What Would Be The Most Cost Effective Way Of Providing Coverage On A 230 Foot Hallway?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 16, 2016

What would be the most cost effective way of providing coverage on a 230 foot hallway that is 6 feet wide with an 8 foot height ceiling? Would you put cameras on either end? And two cameras in the middle? Put them on the hallway walls or on the ceiling?

MI
Matt Ion
Aug 17, 2016

How many doors or egress points are there along the length? What kind of detail do you need of people using them? Just situational awareness?

(1)
UI
Aug 17, 2016

It is an apartment building. With 10 apartments on each side of the hallway.

Re the quality, of course the better quality, the better, but they are trying to figure out best bang for the buck.

Thank you

JH
John Honovich
Aug 17, 2016
IPVM

That's a really good question. As Matt says, it would help to know what egress points there are so you can better understand where people may appear / leave.

Covering long hallways are really tricky:

• Dead spots near the camera is a real issue and it gets worse the narrower the FoV (because the narrower AoV reduces vertical coverage especially near the camera).
  • Depth of field is a real problem because of the long narrow coverage area (unless you have plenty of light 24/7 and fix the f-stop).

Best general way is to find choke points are record there unless the client wants every area of the hallway covered. Any sense of what there needs / expectations are on that?

UI
Aug 17, 2016

It is an apartment building. With 10 apartments on each side of the hallway.

Re the quality, of course the better quality, the better, but they are trying to figure out best bang for the buck. In the past, I one time took a 3mp camera but it in hallway mode and turned it on its side so I got the highest resolution for the length of the hallway. But I am trying to figure out if there is a better option.

There are stairs on either end

Thank you

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Did the MonuVu ever get released:

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions