Subscriber Discussion

Toyota Prius Smart Key Fobs. Access Control Equivalent?

JM
Jeff Minor
May 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Just curious about this. I know the Prius and I'm sure many other cars now simply require your key fob to be in your pocket to open the door. What type of wireless technology is this and is it used in regular access control situations today? I realize that there is a battery in the fob, which would make it more of a management headache, but I like the idea of not needing to swipe a fob or get too close to the reader, especially if you go in and out with your hands full a lot!

Brian Rhodes
May 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

According to the FCC filing: ID: HYQ14ACX, the Prius key is active boosted type that operates in the 314.35 MHz range. So no commonly available access equivalent.

You nailed the typical reason why this isn't common - the internal battery is a cost/ replacement part most users are not willing to bear.

JM
Jeff Minor
May 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Perhaps someday we will get there. Batteries aren't too bad to replace and they seem to last a long time for cars anyway. As far as convenience goes its a plus. One thing I thought of though is that it may unlock the door when you don't want it to. Like if your just passing by the inside of an outside door that you don't want to be opened. Someone could just be waiting at the door for that to happen if they were aware of how the system works. Thanks for looking that up.

DB
David B
May 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

There are a few cars atm on the market (Subaru has some) that uses a fingerprint reader to open the car door. It's called touch activated door unlock. I wonder how well that will work in the long run.

PD
Patrick Donlon
May 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Interesting about the fingerprint reader on some Subaru vehicles. I have a 2015 F-150, as long as the key fab is in my pocket, all I have to do is touch my door handle anywhere on the handle and the door unlocks.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions