Subscriber Discussion

Safety On IR Laser Illuminators

AG
Alexander Gutierrez
Feb 11, 2016

I have not found much info about security restrictions on using IR Laser illuminatoes on PTZ cameras. Then only observation I found was to protect the installer: All mounting and connections shall be done with IR illuminator powered off, a "white flash Light" effect can cause dizziness and cause an accident (i.e. installer falling) - http://www.nuoptic.com/wp-content/uploads/files/white-papers/EyeSafetyForIlluminators.pdf

Any other recomendations?

JH
John Honovich
Feb 11, 2016
IPVM

What do you mean by 'laser'? Generally 850nm IR LEDs are not considered lasers.

Which cameras are you referring to specifically?

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Generally 850nm IR LEDs are not considered lasers...

Yes, Lasers are not LED's, they are LD's, laser diodes.

Because of their degree of collimation, they are able to support long range illumination. Used to be they would be on FLIR, Moog or Cohu stuff.

I'm not sure the danger is that great to the public because the angle narrows (or should) based on the distance to subject. And even though they start out as tight beams, they are still subject to the inverse square law, so ....

Danger to the installer, yes, because you don't realize you're staring at it until too late, esp. with the 940mm kind. I've heard there is a danger even with high-power IR LEDS if you are working right up against them.

I feel safer working in bright sun light, since it shrinks your pupils and thereby which offers a smaller target, though obviously I'm not recommending this as an actual solution. But if you work in the day, they shouldn't be on anyway right?

so then China found out about them and now a bunch make'em

Dahua Laser PTZ

(1)
AT
Andrew Thomas
Feb 11, 2016

The following safety sticker is required.

"DO NOT LOOK INTO LASER with REMAINING GOOD EYE!"

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

How can you tell which eye is the good one? ;)

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 12, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

The one without the pirate eye patch, of course

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions