Honeywell Pro-Watch Access Control Profile

Brian Rhodes
Jan 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified
Inside we examine RS2 Technologies Access It! line for best customer fit, key features, pricing, and main weaknesses. Profile RS2 is a US access company offering a range of platforms from small syst...

Read the full report here

Scot MacTaggart
Feb 02, 2016

Very thorough, Brian. Despite its reputation as a capable access system, Pro-Watch is one of the products I've never really been knowledgeable about, and this piece helps to explain why.

(1)
Jonathan Lawry
Feb 03, 2016
Trecerdo, LLC

There is one major appeal to Pro-Watch that you did not mention here: Legacy controller support.

In addition to PW-series and Mercury panels, Pro-Watch supports older Cardkey D600AP and D620 boards, Westinghouse SEEP and Star panels, Northern N1000 series, and a few others.

I was one of the original Pro-Watch architects/developers, from its inception to 2007. I know that may of the large sites were won precisely because the customer didn't have to rip-out hundreds of older boards. The customer would install Pro-Watch, keep talking to their old hardware, though expand the system with the Mercury-based boards. They could keep their old panels as long as they wanted or needed to. I do not know if they still actively market this support or not.

(2)
Frank Pisciotta
Feb 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified
I do not understand the article comment with respect to connectivity to Mercury. The Mercury site lists Honeywell as an Elite Partner.
Jonathan Lawry
Feb 03, 2016
Trecerdo, LLC

PW-series controllers are manufactured by Honeywell, using licensed Mercury technology. While Honeywell has the technical ability to talk to "standard" Mercury panels also, I think Brian is saying that Honeywell must authorize this. Brian?

Brian Rhodes
Feb 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes, this is correct. My understanding is if you want to use standard Mercury panels in the system (like a takeover) you must have Pro-Watch approve it before supporting it.

The PW6101 is a stock Mercury controller, so the partnership is clear to see there, too.

(1)
David Johnson
Feb 05, 2016

Wow N1000's - sure did a lot of those - a one time half the access control doors in our country (OK -tiny island) had an N1000 attached. Started my company and eventually swapped them all out to Identiv Hirsch. Had a lot of respect for Northern Computers. PC PAK - WINPAK - Pro Watch - what an evolution!

(1)
Jonathan Lawry
Feb 05, 2016
Trecerdo, LLC

Another factoid: Both Hirsch "Momentum" and "Pro-Watch" were OEM versions of an independent product called "MIC-Access". When Honeywell (Northern) bought MIC-Access, Hirsch understandably went their own way with Velocity (Momentum without the Mass, get it?)

Anyway, those were fun days.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed
Feb 04, 2016

Great article Brian - it would be great to have reviews of Lenel and Software House as well.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 07, 2016

I have found one of the most consistent failings of the Prowatch platform is true enterprise graphics with "live" devices. They have a graphic ability but it is next to useless with limited controls and only accessible through alarm page. If they could fix this and allow integration to other VMS it would make it a far more appealing solution.

Good points are you can create customised controls and interfaces. Hardware costs are competitive.

In true Honeywell spirit everything has a licence (and an additional cost associated). Honeywell also have been guilty of (locally) farming existing sites to competing integrators without dealerships. Not a good way to look after existing dealers.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions