Thursday, October 8th 2015 Daily Update

Ethan Ace
Oct 08, 2015

So the big one, UBNT:

The switch we've kept with the portable gear now seems to periodically cycle power. But never when I'm standing in front of it watching it, so that was maddening. I finally replaced it with the 28 port D-Link.

Wireless gear performed a bit differently and I don't have reasons exactly why, and it's bothering me.

Despite the bandwidth tests showing 50-60 Mb/s on the 900 link, I could run three cameras on it reliably, for a total of about 8-10 Mb/s. It definitely seems to be a throughput issue because disabling cameras improves it. But I'm not sure why the delta between the test and the actual usable.

The 5 GHz link shows 70-80 Mb/s through the same tool and I could run 30-40 Mb/s in video across it no problem.

The weird thing is the 900 radios seem to drop even with no video running. That is what I can't pin down. Everything is aligned, vertical and horizontal are within 2-3 db of each other, signal strength is blazing. But periodically it drops. Not seeing it with the others.

That being said, despite it dropping, all the video is there in Exacq. You can advance frame by frame across a "gap" in recorded video and there are no dropped frames. But play it back and there's a stutter.

I have video of all of the above as well as screenshots of tests/setups, etc. I need to organize them.

I'm going to spend time tonight reading up on Ubiquiti help and forums to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. I don't feel quite expert in this.

Dahua Starlight should be done tonight as soon as Derek sends me edits. Writeup is done. Ben producing video now.

I have to send the screen ONVIF folks a clip so they can see what I'm talking about in issues. Spent no time on that today.

Visa letter should be coming. They said everything I sent looked good, just a matter of them getting it stamped and sent.

The NAS came. I set up some basic stuff on it but have mostly left it alone. Moving the dropbox files to it will take days so I'll start it copying over the weekend. I'd like to keep it more organized than Dropbox but I'm particular about that.

Following up with Bob on EZVIZ and H.264+ tonight.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 09, 2015
IPVMU Certified
  • Did Class 6
  • Sent out Networking newsletter, removed PM session, I'll sub in optional live chat at 8pm ET in newsletter next week
  • New discussion
  • redid quiz for week 3
  • updated reading assignments for week 4
  • Wrote Week 3 Newsletter for tomorrow

That should wrap up class duties except for questions for this week.

moving on to large system survey tonight & tomorrow

JH
John Honovich
Oct 09, 2015
IPVM

"Despite the bandwidth tests showing 50-60 Mb/s on the 900 link, I could run three cameras on it reliably, for a total of about 8-10 Mb/s."

You could or could not?

I am going to ask a friend who is a wireless manufacturer for some thoughts.

I did a search for 900mhz on the ubnt forum, a lot of complaints about 900mhz from my brief search.

Which NAS? What Model?

Ethan Ace
Oct 09, 2015

That should read "could only".

The NAS is a western digital DL4100.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions