Subscriber Discussion

Thursday August 13th Daily Update

Derek Ward
Aug 13, 2015
Hanwha

Today:

IP Camera class with Brian. Demo went well and questions were going both to the class and the ipvm chat, so it's good seeing students utilizing both. Also, it is good to see a large majority of students stay to and after the demos, considering we do those at the end of the session.

Went out to deliver a Mac laptop to John, but since John's own Mac is working again, I turned around about halfway and came back to Allentown.

Gathered the outdoor images we shot from yesterday, and here is the 100' distance example. Hands down the Panasonic 4K beats all.

We also have a 50' distance, but I have yet to create that comparison, which I will have first thing tomorrow morning.

Took a look at remaining Panasonic 4K testing, such as, compression testing which, as it appears, looks as though you can still derive a high level of detail from a camera running Q37 (*At least for Bosch and Panasonic, whereas the Axis 4K shows the compression much more).

Also did more testing of low light settings and performance with the Panasonic, and we have examples which I'll create comparisons for.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 13, 2015
IPVM

That's a dramatic difference. Ethan, let's be absolutely certain that there are no errors or issues.

Also, Derek, what is the bandwidth consumption for each camera in this scene?

Ethan Ace
Aug 13, 2015

I tweaked settings and focus when we were outside yesterday. The Axis was slightly out of focus before we shot this, but I corrected it. Everything else was standardized. I'll double check recordings though to make sure.

I actually think the giant lens and imager make a big difference here. And it's expensive but street price is ~$300 more than the Bosch camera, which is an indoor box model. By the time you add a housing, you're practically at Panasonic price.

Derek Ward
Aug 13, 2015
Hanwha

Bandwidth for our outdoor day scene is as follows (Mbps):

Panasonic 4K: ~15.8

Axis 4K: ~10.2

Bosch 4K: ~3.9

Dahua 4K: ~3.1

Panasonic 1080p: ~1.3

JH
John Honovich
Aug 13, 2015
IPVM

Include a zip file of full image clips from each camera. People will want to look for themselves.

Also I want to see 50' comparison included to show tradeoffs.

Again, distance from camera is not the real factor, it's width of FoV. Make sure that is marked on the comparisons.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 14, 2015
IPVM

Also, is the fps the same for all? What frame rate?

I want to make sure this is all apples to apples.

Finally, let's verify 12MP mode for this Panasonic works well and holds the 15fps frame rate. If so, this 12mp would be a very strong contender against the avigilon pro series.

Derek Ward
Aug 14, 2015
Hanwha

Verifying Panasonic 12MP mode, the camera maintains 15 fps (21 according to AVInaptic) and, when set to "Normal (5)" image quality, Q is ~36. Below is the AVInaptic results.

Including what Exacq is showing for FPS / resolution

Ethan Ace
Aug 14, 2015

So Exacq reports 14.80 FPS, and stream size as 8 Mb/s. The switchport says it's just below 9 Mb/s.

Dropping sharpness cuts that in half.

At any rate, AVInaptic is clearly having trouble analyzing these streams properly.

Derek Ward
Aug 14, 2015
Hanwha

Frame Rate for all cameras was 10. Also, I'll be sure to update the outdoor comps with FOV width instead of "subject at X distance from cameras", and HFOV was ~135' HFOV with me @ ~100', and ~70' HFOV with me @ ~50' away.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 14, 2015
IPVM

The Panasonic was 15Mb/s at 10fps 4K h.264? Are we sure?

Ethan Ace
Aug 14, 2015

Yes, and that's due to the same reason it was high inside: really sharp plus set to "fine" instead of "normal".

Derek Ward
Aug 14, 2015
Hanwha

Here is the closer outside comparison. Panasonic 4K is clearly the best here, no comparison.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions