City Video Surveillance Guide

Brian Rhodes
Jun 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified
Key Findings Our survey uncovered some general truths about K-12 surveillance use, regardless of region, country, or system size: The most important monitoring locations for schools are primary en...

Read the full report here

SN
Steve Nauman
Jun 08, 2015

I'm loving all the applied expertise you're getting from these surveys.

(4)
BL
Bryan Lagarde
Jun 09, 2015

Hello. We are about to install our 1500th HD networked crime camera here in New Orleans. Our cameras are all networked and continuously stream to our Incident Monitoring Center, where we selectively live-monitor groups of cameras based on 911 calls for service. I'm curious how our system stacks up against other city-wide HD networked crime camera systems. Does anyone know how many HD cameras that other city-wide systems have networked into a single monitoring center? Also, does anyone know how often other systems help close felony investigations via arrest or warrant, or how many UCR index crimes they may engage?

While I know that our system is doing a great deal of good for our city, I'm looking for some benchmarks for comparative purposes. Thanks in advance!

JH
John Honovich
Jun 10, 2015
IPVM

Bryan,

Your system (We reviewed it here - Project NOLA - 500+ Camera City System at 90% Lower Cost) is fundamentally a lot different than almost every other city system we have seen. Usually city systems are centrally organized / deployed / management by the government. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Why do you care how many HD cameras other cities have? Surely Chinese cities have tens of thousands. That does not take away from your system.

As for arrests and warrants, those types of statistics appear to be uncommon. Every once in a while one gets released, but it is not the norm.

BL
Bryan Lagarde
Jun 10, 2015

We are looking for benchmarks to gauge the success of our system, which appears to be unprecedented here in the United States. Learning how we compare in size and cost has not proven to be too difficult. However, we are having trouble comparing the number of UCR index crimes that are engaged per month or year. As you mentioned, these kind of stats are hard to come by. Thoughts?

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Jun 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Is anyone selling still selling analog cameras or has IP finally won?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 10, 2015
IPVM

Chris,

IP can 'win' even if someone is selling analog cameras. In the city segment, I doubt more than a distinct minority are deploying new analog (SD) systems.

We have new SMB reports coming out next week that show how much even the low end is changing (not necessarily to IP but to HD analog).

MT
Mike Tillema
Jan 22, 2016
John, A very insightful report. For these city surveillance projects, who are the people in the police department, city management that are the decision makers and evaluators of the solution? Thanks, Mike
(1)
MT
Mike Tillema
Jan 26, 2016

Great article! I am in the early stages of exploring the "City surveillance" market segment. Can anyone give me an idea of who within the cities and police departments are the decision makers and evaluators for the proposed solution.

Any insight is much appreciated.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 26, 2016

All those jobs are put up for bid. For bids around your area, go to the City or County website and find the Purchasing Department. You should sign up to their vendor list to receive bids that might interest you. You can also register to paid or free bid list. This one is free http://www.securityservices.link/

MT
Mike Tillema
Jan 26, 2016

Thanks for the help.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions