Subscriber Discussion

Wednesday May 13 2015 Daily Update

MT
Matt Transue
May 13, 2015

Running to a family function so I'm updating this now. Will have my cell on me if anyone needs something urgent for the next few hours.

Reviewed and responded to class assignments and discussions throughout the day

Emails with students throughout the day also.

Posted camera class 12 assignment and provided an example for the assignment.

Posted IP Networking class 2 assignment and provided an example with instructions on finding MAC and IP address information.

Responded to Mike B. regarding a customer with a wireless implementation that they’ve been having issues with. Suggested we collect some additional information about the topology, cameras, scene specifics, etc.

Composed list of questions/comments from Camera Class 11 and sent to Brian and Ethan for post/discussion consideration.

Reviewed and edited Camera week 6 quiz. Removed true/false questions and questions that had very high scores. Added new questions and reworded some to make them more difficult. It is in quiz builder for review.

Reviewed and edited the IP Networking week 1 quiz. Removed some easy questions, edited and added some new questions. It is in the quiz builder for review.

Prep for the 3 training classes tomorrow. I will be leading both IP Networking classes, Brian will lead the final Camera class.

Tomorrow will be a heavy day of trainings, with emphasis on getting the Camera Course key lessons guide reviewed and any required changes made before the start of the final class tomorrow.

MB
Michael Budalich
May 13, 2015

-Numerous inbound requests from members including paper work to become an authorized vendor for Quantum.

-Messaged several trade magazines about covering The $100 MP Era is Here including A&S Mag, SP&T News, SSI, etc.

-Developed a couple of new prospect email templates with catchy headlines including "Access Camera Testing Info Worth Thousands for a Fraction of the Cost" and "Are you sick & tired of spending hours testing Cameras & Software?" Below is an example of one:

"Dear Prospect,

As a security integrator what is your main goal? I'm willing to bet its to make money by building a satisfied customer base. Then, these customers stay with you over time and refer other customers to you.

Knowing this, it has to be frustrating to waste valuable time testing cameras & software. These products are simply a means to an end --Making more money. So why devote hours of your time?

What intelligent integrators around the world are doing is relying on IPVM, the world's leading source for video surveillance information. Our in-depth testing provides side by side image comparisons (seen below)
Inline image 1

Don't waste time: Join IPVM today and optimize your integration business for success."

- Spent time handling procurement of meeting space, food arrangements, and correspondence with the Newark Penn Station Hilton.  This is for IPVM's event planned for the week of September 14th. We are targeting 100 registrations and this will be the largest IPVM event ever held.

-Spent time talking to my integrator connections in New Jersey to get us the latest Avigilon price list. I was able to grab it so we can update the pricing on the camera finder so Michael Miller stops busting our balls about it (you're welcome Derek and Ethan).

-Talked on the phone with Bob Peach my old boss. He found out that John Becker resigned from Tyco Security products and is leaving the security industry entirely. Not sure if this will be a post or not yet.

-Fixed the integrator finder to update Stone Security's Utah branch.

FOR TONIGHT:
-Increased studying of online marketing materials. I've improved in 3 months with online marketing, but I have a long way to go before I am where I need to be.

Derek Ward
May 13, 2015
Hanwha

Today:

- Low Cost Outdoor Cameras 2015 post, which needs varifocal models and final edits. Will have done to completion tomorrow.

- Revised Avigilon camera pricing in camera finder with Avigilon MSRP sheet, and will add Avigilon's H3A cameras tomorrow. Spoke with Ethan and John regarding the bullet points of the price cuts. Thanks for getting us that sheet Mike ;).

- Shot corridor scene again for camera finder, but this time in "corridor mode".

We are still prepped and ready to shoot camera selection guide 2015 images, and we also got in our grayscale chart I ordered on Monday from B&H.

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
May 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I am still working, but taking a break for dinner.

Goals:
Class 12 prep

Key Lesson updates for HD analog stuff

still doing amazon post, but it will write quick

Tomorrow:

Final Exam Prep with new fill-in-the-blanks

do classes

Brian Rhodes
May 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

also I'll move the labor guide stuff over to a report tonight.

Ethan Ace
May 14, 2015

- I've been updating the Surveillance Camera Spec guide over the past couple days in the background. http://ipvm.com/report/surveillance_camera_rfp_template -- It's been substantially expanded, and I restructured it so it's:

1. Top three issues -- same as before

2. Most common trouble areas, which I added to and reordered in a rough priority -- Defining the target, FOV width, using PPF, Low light, IR, WDR, storage/compression traps

3. Camera hardware spec features

4. Camera software/firmware spec features

5. The big list of spec items.

I feel like it flows more, but I'd welcome feedback.

- Brief Avigilon price comparison check. Good to know they had a price drop at least.

- Figured out how to shoot hallway shot for corridor mode for calculator. Had to install Network Optix and use it to do software rotation because the panoramics don't offer rotation in camera.

- Review Derek's lowest cost outdoor camera piece, do rough edits, feedback.

- Thought about some other camera calculator pieces to do like that.

- Roughed out some questions for a K-12 vertical survey, talked briefly with Brian about other verticals, possibility to use these things for design 101 at some point. I'm going to make an internnal thread to keep track of those.

- Answered comment on AGC/Gain artical re: motion detection activation from noise. Need to add addendum to Motion Detection test from four years ago.

- Eagle Eye writing but not done. Too many distractions. If I don't do this tomorrow it's officially taken too damn long.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions