Subscriber Discussion

Shutter Speed And Fps

AB
Anoop Basheer
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I got a doubt on this.If my shutter speed is 1/10 s for example and my fps is 30, i can get only 10 images per sec based on shutter speed.So I cannot acheive 30 fps in this shutter speed?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

The real question is why do you want 30 FPS when there are only 10 unique images generated per second?

Do you want each new image sent three times in a row?

AB
Anoop Basheer
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

thanks for the reply So it will send each images 3 times in a row ,right?so i will get only information in these 10 images eventhough i have 30fps configured.Anyhow in practical scenario this 1/10 can cause motion blur so i need to use 1/30 s shutter speed to get 30 fps ,right? But consider low light scene where I am going to keep 1/20 s shutter speed and 30 fps,will it make that much impact?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

So it will send each images 3 times in a row, right?

It depends on the camera. If you are lucky it won't, it will just slow the frame rate to the shutter speed. Otherwise it would seem to waste space by having to store frames that add no new information.

How much space though is a good question, since, assuming one is using H.264, any duped 'P' frames would need to contain little more than the scene change information, which would be assumedly nothing, except possibly for overlay information. The cameras I checked all seem to throttle down the framerate, so I can't be sure what others might do.

On the surface, setting the SS to be slower than the FR seems to make little sense, though in practice it might occur when you are trying to capture a maximal frame rate (during the Day) and are allowing long exposures at night, and have no mechanism to reduce the framerate concurrently (dynamic profile).

Anyhow in practical scenario this 1/10 can cause motion blur so i need to use 1/30 s shutter speed to get 30 fps ,right? But consider low light scene where I am going to keep 1/20 s shutter speed and 30 fps,will it make that much impact?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Will what make much impact on what?

Are you asking: With the nominal framerate set at 30, will 1/10 SS or 1/20 SS or 1/30 SS make much impact?

• On blur? If there is significant motion yes, how much depends on how fast the motion is.
  • On the overall brightness or noise of the scene? Since it is allowing 50-100% more light on each exposure, yes, it will increase the overall luminance (or reduce noise thru AGC reduction)
  • On the actual framerate? Again possibly, depending on how your particular camera handles SS slower than the framerate, see above.

Background: Training: Frame Rates for IP Cameras, Trend: Day/Night Profiles for IP Cameras

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions