Subscriber Discussion

Broken Link In Access: IP Readers Vs Control Panels

DB
Donald Bowne
Feb 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

One of the links in the course article Access: IP Readers vs. control panels is not working.

For background, we recommend you review 2 vendor's pitches on this debate:

HID makes the case for the edge in a video introduction

Mercury Security rasises concerns and issues with the edge in a white-paper

the link to the Mercury white paper is broken. I tried to follow but got the following error:

Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mercury-security.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 03, 2015
IPVM

Donald, it appears that Mercury deleted / removed this from the site. I couldn't find another copy online but Brian will check too and report back.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the heads-up Donald. That link is a hard break: Mercury just removed the content altogether. I've edited our post, and asked Mercury for a copy of the original white paper.

However, the main value of the link was context in the 'edge controller debate', a point that Mercury has blurred further by introducing their own 'edge devices' since initially posting that paper. I suspect this is why they took it down; it contradicted their own offerings!

BB
Bob Brislin
Feb 05, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Interesting that they make a case against a technology trend, then later introduce the offering themselves. I remember when Avigilon used to make a case against the need for PTZ cameras, stating that their high megapixel cameras were inherently better as one could pan-tilt-zoom a recorded image and never miss anything. Then, of course, they released their own PTZ cameras.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 05, 2015
IPVM
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions