Camera Finder Released

JH
John Honovich
Nov 02, 2014
IPVM
The new Camera Finder lets you search across 2000+ cameras for 30+ criteria, immediately returning precise matches so you can ...

Read the full report here

JH
John Honovich
Nov 03, 2014
IPVM

Have feedback? Want new models? New features? Found a bug?

Just leave a comment below or to info@ipvm.com and we will take a look.

Like we made numerous improvements and expansions to the Calculator, we will certainly do the same here.

Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 03, 2014
Pro Focus LLC

I assume WDR is an upcoming option?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 03, 2014
IPVM

We used to track WDR based on dBs, which is what manufacturers most typically list on their datasheets. The problem with that is (1) it is hard to trust and compare since some manufacturers take liberties / lie and (2) manufacturers make up marketing terms that obfuscate what their WDR does.

What we are planning to do is to change our WDR tracking to true / false for multi-exposure WDR (which is what we have found in our testing to be 'true' WDR).

Expect that to be implemented by the end of this month. We know many manufacturers already, but we will need to verify which models are multi-exposure, etc.

[UPDATED - WDR Searching Added.]

John Bazyk
Nov 03, 2014
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Is the price point MSRP?

Edit: Nevermind.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 03, 2014
IPVM

The price points are typically online (including a link to online sources), expect for the rare manufacturer who does not sell online. If they do not sell online and they have tightly restricted availability (like Avigilon), we use MSRP as the input.

JC
Joe Chiasson
Nov 03, 2014

Thank you for this great tool!

Feature request:

Lens = varifocal option and a button to reset all fields

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 03, 2014
IPVM

Joe, when you say lens = varifocal option, you mean a filter that only shows cameras that support varifocal lenses? I think that's what you mean. If so, it is a good idea and we can easily add.

I agree on the reset all fields button. One can refresh the page but it would be useful to have an easy on screen button. Thanks!

JC
Joe Chiasson
Nov 03, 2014

sorry for the brevity and yes, that is exactly what I meant.

Thanks again, this saves time over checking a few mnfr's product selector page and reading reviews/comparisons on IPVM

(1)
EM
Erkko Mitt
Nov 03, 2014

I see PoE, HPoE, Any, and None options under Power>PoE Support. PoE+ missing on purpose?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 03, 2014
IPVM

We are using HPoE to refer to the same thing as PoE+

We changed the term to PoE+. We also added 802.3af and 802.3at so that there is no confusion about what we are referring to.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 03, 2014
IPVM

Cross referencing to tests: We have 290+ tests, with easily 100+ camera models. We are going to add a link / label on the results table for each model that has a test result. This should be up next week after we associate them all.

Sergey Bystrov
Nov 04, 2014
NetworkOptix

How reliable this data is?
How frequently is this updated?
How do you update it at all, can you share?( manually?)
What if I'm a camera manufacture and want to get into your list. How do I do it ?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 04, 2014
IPVM

Reliability: There's over 2,000 cameras and 40 metrics per cameras, so that means 80,000+ data points. Overall, I think it's quite reliable, but with so many data, there will be some mistakes. If you find any please report and we will fix immediately.

Updated: We added/updated 1800+ in the past month. We manually update it periodically.

If you are a camera manufacturer that we have not covered, you can submit a spreadsheet / template.

PV
Pat Villerot
Nov 04, 2014
Thank you for this. In those circumstances where we are brand agnostic this is a phenomenal utility.
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 04, 2014
IPVM

A few known bugs that we are fixing today:

• PoE filtering is broken
  • non ONVIF cameras are being displayed as 1.x in results

Also, there are a number of enhancements in queue, as described above.

[UPDATE: Both are solved.]

WJ
Wayne Jared
Nov 04, 2014

This is a great tool, but I can't seem to move past the first page? (next, last buttons don't seem to work or it's user error, which is always possible)

JH
John Honovich
Nov 04, 2014
IPVM

Wayne, sorry, we made some changes to pagination display yesterday and broke out. We will get it fixed asap today.

WJ
Wayne Jared
Nov 04, 2014

No worries, we (infinias/Digiop) are in test on pretty complete Onvif Profile-S support and would love to use this as a camera reference to work through and test to make sure we've gotten it right for as many brands as possible, so thanks for all the hard work.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 04, 2014
IPVM

Pagination is fixed. Thanks.

WJ
Wayne Jared
Nov 04, 2014

Works great, thanks! My test was to look for HIKVision ONVif Profile S. And see there aren't any. Do you have any insight on them and planned support?

Also, are you interested in VMS manufacturer feedback on cameras to help with keeping this list current? If so how would you like it provided?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Nov 04, 2014

Great tool, very useful to quickly find a camera base on specification. The only thing I would like to see is a few selections for WDR.

JG
Jesse Guenter
Nov 04, 2014

Bravo guys!!! this is a huge time saver for me, keep up the great work!!

AC
Aaron Coy
Nov 04, 2014

Very cool tool! This was also helpful when looking at different focal lengths, imager sizes, and other key specs we have discussed in class thur far. It makes choosing camera brands/types based on cost and needs essentially mindless.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Nov 04, 2014

IPVM team, I think this is a great start for many. There are so many camera options in the market place today with 1000's more coming from overseas manufacturers. Even with the slight bug fixes and updates to keep content fresh, I have not seen a tool that comes close in comparison to what you have provided here for the integrator community. Great job!

WJ
Wayne Jared
Nov 04, 2014

The ONVIF search doesn't seem to be working quite right. If you just select ACTi as an example because they have cameras categorized as both Profile S and 1.x, selecting 1.x returns Profile S cameras and selecting Profile S doesn't return anything. But overall you get results for both but all listed as 1.x

JH
John Honovich
Nov 04, 2014
IPVM

Wayne, thanks for finding this. It is a data input error on our part. Derek based it on reading the manufacturer specification (looking for Profile S). He is immediately re-doing to base it on what is listed on the ONVIF official list. I'll update here when this is complete.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 05, 2014
IPVM

ONVIF support has been fixed / updated.

Roshan Blessen Mathew
Nov 05, 2014

Oh God, this is simply awesome !

Excellent work IPVM Team, hats off !!!

Harald Lutz
Nov 05, 2014
Kronfelder Videoloesungen • IPVMU Certified

Just great! Thank you so much.

Still small ONVIF issue on dahua CVI Cameras

Analogue camera with ONVIF support ;)

BTW, in the camera list, it says "ONVIF - none", but not on product page.

Anyway, thanks again for this!

JH
John Honovich
Nov 05, 2014
IPVM

Harald,

Thanks. We'll get that fixed asap.

We just added in non IP cameras (CVI, TVI, SDI, etc.) and we needed to update the logic on the display page. Thanks again for pointing that out.

[UPDATE - Fixed]

TG
Tedor Gligorich
Nov 05, 2014

3 question

1. Auto-focus - means all continous or motored?

2. Will calculator feed itself off of finder, so can see from calc any rich detail?

3. We like camera thumb pictures, can you?

4. Swift and good job!

JH
John Honovich
Nov 05, 2014
IPVM

1. Auto focus is any camera that can be remotely triggered to refocus without a person at the camera adjusting focus by hand.

2. We can add a link from finder results to calculator. Good idea.

3. Where would the thumbnail pic go? On the table of results or on the linked product page? Or perhaps as a popover when one hovers over model name? I am trying to figure out hiw to make it fit in the UI.

4. Thanks!

TG
Tedor Gligorich
Nov 05, 2014

Half all cameras are then auto-focus? It seemed alot too much. But maybe i have old cameras.

Since asked let me tell my untested thought.

Special graphic mode for anyone who struggles with english more than i.

Show form factor with little icon, box, bullet

Show lens longness with horiz. bar line, longer or short, depends

Show resolution with rectangle, bigger or smaller, depends

Easier to compare than reading character digits

Just a toggler mode to get at the words, back and forth

JH
John Honovich
Nov 06, 2014
IPVM

Added: now you can clear any criteria or all criteria just by clicking the clear all or x next to each individual criteria.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 06, 2014
IPVM

Note to manufacturers: if you are not included it is because we prioritized entry based on this list: Ranking 95 Surveillance Manufacturers Interest.

We will add more. Contact Derek derek@ipvm.com and he will show you how we enter in cameras.

Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 08, 2014
Pro Focus LLC

John,

Another bit of info that would be helpful for those of us who have to install cameras is whether or not they have a whip or an onboard connection. Sometimes you are surface mounting a camera on brick and need to account for the whip. If it is easier to find a camera without a whip (or removable) then it could make our life easier as installers. I know that it's usually well covered in your articles, so maybe that data is already known for models you have reviewed.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 12, 2014
IPVM

Jon, I started a new discussion to get more input on this: What Camera Installation Features Are Important To You?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 11, 2014
IPVM

WDR camera tracking has been added to the finder. Under the imaging tab, one can now filter only cameras that support multi-exposure WDR. Thanks for the input!

See: WDR Manufacturer Cheat Sheet and Camera Tracking

JH
John Honovich
Nov 12, 2014
IPVM

We added infinite scrolling to the Camera Finder Results display. Previously, it was paginated and required clicking 'next' and reloading the page, etc. Now, you can just keep on scrolling down and new cameras will appear. The usability is a lot better.

Here's an example of quickly scrolling through 89 cameras:

JH
John Honovich
Nov 18, 2014
IPVM

Just added: in addition to searching by varifocal or fixed focal, you can now search for specific AoVs and focal lengths. Check it out.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 09, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

John,

We found a discrepency on a Hik camera today. The Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I does not have an auto focus feature. We were searching for a model from Hik with auto focus under $500 and this model showed up in the results.

[This is fixed]

Luis Carmona
Feb 09, 2015
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Suggestion: camera finder could use "Audio" as a search parameter, with maybe sub-parameters as "One way", "Bidirectional" and "Built in Mic" as options.

(1)
(1)
HL
Horace Lasell
Mar 04, 2015

Love the camera finder! I agree that audio would be a great search feature. Doing this sort of attempted search on the internet is very time consuming.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 04, 2015
IPVM

On audio, we have this search built-in:

Sorry for not responding to Luis sooner. This should meet the request, no?

U
Undisclosed #3
May 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

John,

The finder contains both Analog cameras and SD cameras, yet no Analog SD cameras. Intentionally I assume; since most Analog cameras are SD and most SD cameras are Analog, you would otherwise expect to see some.

Any thought to adding a few? Maybe a few old school 'reference' models or a couple 960H ones?

People transitioning from Analog SD might benefit from being able compare with models they're familiar with.

Assuming its just a matter of asking the manufacturers to include the data. Is the import process of model specification data from the manufacturers fairly automated or is there still a lot of massaging necessary?

JH
John Honovich
May 17, 2015
IPVM

No adding SD camera models.

First, no one who is actually transitioning from analog SD has ever asked for this.

Second, if someone wants to compare / evaluate SD, they can toggle between VGA resolution option and different MP ones on the Calculator to see the difference.

U
Undisclosed #3
May 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I was asking for a different reason, though not a very important one, namely after seeing that some well known manufacturers are still releasing SD Analog models, I was trying to gauge how the war on Analog(SD) was proceeding.

Have you come across any data lately showing the estimated penetration of MP in new camera sales, either by volume or by dollar? Are we at 50% by dollar yet, do you think?

JH
John Honovich
May 17, 2015
IPVM

Who is releasing new SD analog cameras?

Also, this is off topic. Feel free to start a new discussion. This should only be about the Camera Finder.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions