Subscriber Discussion

Access Control Provider Got You Tied Down?

TS
Tim Sisk
Apr 30, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Does anyone else feel like their hands are tied behind their back due to a choice made by a previous security manager in regards to programs that were purchased?

Because of the large investment made by the company to get said access control software and equipment, limited people can work on your system and worse yet you have limited equipment options to choose from and venders you can work with.

I have seen equipment made by other venders that I would like to try, but they can't work on the Access Control system because they aren't yet partners or licensed to work with our product.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 30, 2014
IPVMU Certified

This is tough! The 'wall-to-wall' systems common to access are especially hard to depreciate enough to replace.

Really, the only strategy to enact changes most time is system cost documentation:

• Repair/Service Costs
  • Software Maintenance Cost
  • Cost of Upgrade when Existing System is Obsoleted
  • Direct Overhead devoted to Operate System

If the total number is large enough, then you might get the nod to start looking at replacement offerings. If that number is rather small, you might be fighting a losing battle.

MN
Mike Nemcic
May 01, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Our proprietary ACS is backing us into a corner. Some vendors advertise open source, but the open source functions are very limited, just enough to work at a bare minimum with a legacy system (getting the foot in the door), but not enough to provide full functionality. A new vendor doesn’t want to integrate with existing systems; a new vendor wants to take over the existing system. Hence, the existing system vendor does not want to provide integration with a competitive vendor. It’s even worse when a vendor releases its own new line of products and discontinues support for its existing systems.

Mike

SL
Shane Lott
May 06, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Equally hard is the "license" or "seat" arrangements with some vendors and when trying to amalgamate multiple sites into the one network.......What a headache of version incompatiblity and seat upgrades just to get the system communicating!....... let alone the firmware version issues and hardware problems when NONE of it matches and all the client sees (or wants to see!) is a HUGELY expensive service call to undertakes works of a software nature......... The comments like "i think the upgrades should be included in the original pricing!........

All in all, I shy away from the larger vendors due to this "proprietary" perspective and focus on the few more "open source" than others, so that the client sees a fair days work for a fair days charge".

JG
John Garrett
May 08, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I'm learning that some systems are much easier to work with than others.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 12, 2014

The proprietary systems have driven a fair bit of business to our company. Some of our customers have hired us specifically to rip them out, despite us sometimes making recommendations that we can work with them.

MN
Mike Nemcic
May 13, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Tim,

I have an integrator, who at one time was our preferred vendor, that continuously makes sales calls to tell us about all the flaws we currently have with our access control system. Since the system we currently use was recommended and installed by the same vendor, we are reluctant to do additional business with the vendor. The vendor often points out that the previous security manager was not qualified for the job. I'm sure when I depart, I will become the vendor's patsy

It's definitely been a buzz-kill to find out our preferred vendor is a sellout. We are glad this is not indicative of the mainstream integrator community.

Mike

Brian Rhodes
May 13, 2014
IPVMU Certified

It's definitely been a buzz-kill to find out our preferred vendor is a sellout. We are glad this is not indicative of the mainstream integrator community.

Great response, Mike. I broke it out into a separate discussion on the main site: Is Your Integrator a Sell-Out?"

RG
Rick Gessaman
May 20, 2014
IPVMU Certified

As far as specifing equipment and seperating you from other integrators and really a good thing to keep in mind in living your life well is; "You will never build yourself up by tearing others down!"

That be said tell your customers your systems atributes, about your security firm reputation, never even mention the competition and that way you will never have any competition.

DC
Dwayne Cole
May 20, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Yes we have several customers that are tied into certain systems because of a previous managers decision. Have not found a good solution.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions