7 Key Surveillance Trends for 2014

JH
John Honovich
Apr 20, 2014
IPVM
Edge recording stumbling Axis access control slow start H.265 limited availability 4K camera handicaps ...

Read the full report here

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 21, 2014

John,

Is there any major area, where we can forsee innovation?(apart form the ones mentioned above)?Analog to IP was a major transition. Since there are no major innovations,would you suspect a downward-spiral from here on? Low-cost market is doing more bad than good IMHO.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 21, 2014
IPVM

Video analytics, as it has been for the past decade, remains the next big thing. If you started to see reliable, built-in video analytics, that worked out of the box, it could really change things - both for the 'premium' manufacturers (who would now have a clear differentiator) and the end users (who could use / justify purchasing more surveillance products).

When that is going to happen is still not clear to me and I do not see any immediate shift to that. See: The Next Big Thing

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 21, 2014

The next big thing will be the result of changes in the Telco world. Specifically I think there is a price war looming for bandwidth. Google is already firing the first shots with a $70 per month plan for 1,000 MPS up and down

Once bandwidth costs drop I can see a shift to hosted services including video and access control.

It is still 3-5 years away, but I believe you will see this become mainstream before 2020

JH
John Honovich
Apr 21, 2014
IPVM

Could be, but 3-5 years is still a long ways away.

On the other hand, look at what is going on with Netflix paying a premium to ISPs. Video surveillance is similar but worse because (1) it's upstream (where bandwidth is less) and (2) it's always on (rather than on demand, a few hours a day) and (3) it's multiple video streams (rather than 1 at a time). Even if the pipe is big enough, what are carriers going to charge when lots of people want to simultaneously and all day pump channels of video surveillance?

UM
Apr 21, 2014

I think the video piece of hosted services will be part of a much larger trend. We've already seen it begin with companies like Salesforce and MS offering SWAAS and cloud apps like dropbox offering free storage.

Bandwidth will drop, as Google (and others) compete with ATT, Verizon and Comcast. The tipping point may be a combination of price and technology like H.265 (266, 267 etc) compression.

It seems the next logical progression as companies will look to reduce internal IT resources

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Apr 21, 2014

Well this isn't confidence inspiring at all to read, but the sad part is its all true. As a young person in the industry this makes me want to consider changing industries.

UM
Apr 21, 2014

Undisclosed C - to the contrary, Security / Loss Prevention technology is probably as recession proof as any industry I can think of. There will always be a need for it, regardless of the overall economy.

Perhaps your current company isn't reflective of this, but there are substantial opportunities in this field

JH
John Honovich
Apr 21, 2014
IPVM

The issue is the upside / max potential. If I wanted lifetime employment, I'd become a stevedore...

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Apr 21, 2014

Undisclosed manufacturer pep talk... Awesome!

MN
Mahesh Nagaraju
Apr 22, 2014

@Rukmini Wilson- Is that a sarcastic comment :)? Do you agree with what Undisclosed B says?

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Apr 22, 2014

No sarcasm implied; the world could use a little more pep!

...probably as recession proof as any industry I can think of. There will always be a need for it, regardless of the overall economy.

Sarcasm would have been: Security: The world's second oldest profession?

But I refused to go there. ;)

Sagy Amit
Apr 24, 2014

John,

I would argue that those are not trends... Other than the two below, the rest of the items on the list are the implications of a trend.

• Low cost camera manufacturer competitive shift
  • Weak innovation will drag down growth

For example:"FLIR and Samsung Aggressive Expansion" would fall under a trend "Large manufacturers deiversify product line" and would be an implication of that trend along with "Axis access control starts slow"

By definition, a trend is an outside force that effects the market as a whole, such as "9/11 terrorist attacks results a booming security industry for years to come"...

JH
John Honovich
Apr 24, 2014
IPVM

Sagy, I can see your point. I am not sure how finely or coarsely one wants to categorize trends, though.

My meta point is these are important issues / shifts in the industry that I believe many IPVM readers are interested in knowing more about / tracking their impact.

Sagy Amit
Apr 24, 2014

Fair enough. my main point is that it would be a long-shot to say that any specific company in our industry is"trend-setting".... trend reactive at best..

In contrast, Google, Apple, and Qualcomm can be considered trend setting ;)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions