Tuesday November 19, 2013 Daily Updates

Brian Rhodes
Nov 20, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Did Classes Today. Attendance was down by about 20% in all classes.

Tomorrow's emails will layout the last sessions and schedule for review sessions and tests.

Did not hear back from Viscount today. The call I got from British Columbia was unrelated. I'll push hard tomorrow, and reach out to John S at Brivo (which I have not done yet.)

My active post queue:

• Viscount/MS
  • Optex Redlaser /ACAP
  • Google microconsultants
  • Zmodo 4K? Derek or Ethan might be better to take this one.
Ethan Ace
Nov 20, 2013

I think the Zmodo 4K and $80 ONVIF things are better as discussions, personally. But I leave it up to y'all.

Today:

- Classes. They did seem a bit light today.

- HD/5MP/10MP testing. Testing is complete, I'm working on writing now. Derek has image work he's doing. Tomorrow AM finish.

- Finished slide deck 12.

Tomorrow I have an appointment early, but I should be back by 10ish, so won't miss much. Arecont's getting done and Hikvision's getting started.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Nov 20, 2013

DHS post is done. I send them an email about dollar figures and haven't heard back. I think it's good to go as is and I can update if/when I hear back: http://ipvm.com/updates/2327

Sent follow up questions to Philly about them building a PSIM.

I sent Baltimore PD a copy of this, but I think it's good to go as is and I can just update with whatever they say if they say anything: http://ipvm.com/updates/2337

I'm going to wrap up the active shooter post tomorrow.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 20, 2013
IPVM

Baltimore PD feedback:

First paragraph is weak, focuses on details not important to our readers:

"Secured Cities in Baltimore wrapped up with a tour of Baltimore's domain awareness system it calls Citiwatch."

(1) very few people know what secured cities is (2) the name of their system is boring and inconsequential

Why show the one photo? It makes you look petty and passive aggressive. better to simply say 'photos were not allowed inside'

This is a weird lead critique, especially as the first thing "The downside of the tour was that it focused on the functionality of the system once it was already in place and little about what it took to set it up." it's like they gave you filet mignon but you complain that there was no lobster. You have no meaningful critique here beyond that they didn't cover this. Also how does this help the reader?

The actual four critiques are interesting and on point. Don't bury them under so much preamble.

Finally, you say, "In one video, the operator tracked a man acting suspiciously until he broke a car window." This was a recorded previous clip or a live event while you were there? If it's the later, that's pretty impressive. Otherwise, not sure what that means.

SW
Sarit Williams
Nov 20, 2013
  • Web Client post first draft writing though won't be ready to review by you until tomorrow morning; I want to finalize and embed images first.
  • In addition, will create videos tomorrow- 5 videos:
    • 5 Thin Client Ommisions- if they are omissions, what exactly will I show in the video? what did you have in mind?
    • sharing options video
    • search/investigations
    • live
    • browser installation (Activex plugin example)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 20, 2013
IPVM

for the omissions, pull up a web client and show spaces / spots where they would normally be on a thick client

"here, we are looking at the search section but notice I can only search for one camera at a time, unlike thick clients where multi-camera search is typical. Plus, see that a timeline is missing, another common thick client feature, etc."

Derek Ward
Nov 20, 2013
Hanwha
  • Image work for the Arecont cameras, as well as finished testing with Ethan. Also added test parameters and free image of cameras side-by-side to report.
  • Called Arecont tech support regarding Bandwidth Savings Mode. When asked about how it worked and if there were any online manuals or documentation regarding it's use, he said: "We just got an email this week about it. It's a really new feature, and even we don't have all the details about it. The mode dials down 'visual enhancements' to increase bandwidth, " He told me to "turn it (bandwidth savings mode) on and configure image settings until you achieve the desired image quality." I asked him when there would possibly be documented release of the feature, he replied "to be determined at a later date". He didn't tell me to have a good day when we hung up either.
  • Attened both IP classes.
JH
John Honovich
Nov 20, 2013
IPVM

let's drop the bandwidth savings setting for now, it's bizarre but not big enough to worth really investigating

JH
John Honovich
Nov 20, 2013
IPVM

Btw, update on the new style non members promo email.

I think it did fairly well. I estimate 5 or 6 new sign ups just from that email. That's pretty good. It could also be because people are interested in Samsung so no easy to be sure.

However, the email stats were overall positive. More reads, maybe up 10% or so. Half the number of unsubscribes (though those are tiny either way - 15 vs 30 out of 20k+) as well as no spam reports (typically we get 4 to 8 per email).

One downside is that it depresses page views on the site but I think the higher sign ups and the better engagement on this style of email is worth it.

I am going to try another one on Thursday - "Should You Switch to 5MP and 10MP Cameras?"

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions