Glossary / Acronyms for Video Surveillance

JH
John Honovich
Feb 04, 2020
IPVM
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 11, 2020

I would add GPU and SoC to this list. Granted, they are not super common, but that is probably more reason to have them defined relative to security applications.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 12, 2020
IPVM

#1, thanks, I've added SoC:

SoC - System on a chip is the core computing component of IoT devices like IP cameras and recorders. Generally, the choice of SoC impacts capabilities like analytics, dewarping, multi-imager, codec, etc. and is a major driver of IoT device cost. Specifically, SoCs have become a concern as US government action against Huawei impacts the wide usage of Huawei Hisilicon chips.

I've asked the team to add GPU and others suggested here.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 11, 2020

Waiting to see who copies this list onto their shop drawings....

Architect asks about Trunkslammer...

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 11, 2020

No definition of Hikua?

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 11, 2020

No, not really relevant any more ;)

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 12, 2020
IPVM

Lol, Hikua is worth having since it is referred to by people here and elsewhere, so added;

Hikua - a portmanteau of the words Hikvision and Dahua, this is a simplified way to refer to the two giant PRC manufacturers when discussing trends or actions that the two companies are both similarly engaged in

Not sure when Dearing created it but if he recalls, I can like to his first usage.

Ethan Ace
Feb 12, 2020

See also the extra portmanteau of the portmanteau... Hikuaview, combining the "big 3" from China.

(1)
TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
May 12, 2020
IPVMU Certified

additional triple portmanteau... Hikuawei, combining the ”bad 3” from China.

UI
Feb 13, 2020

If the first usage was on IPVM, it should be easy to find...

SELECT * FROM Comments WHERE Comments.Body LIKE 'hikua'

But without database access, it's hard to find because you limit browsing of search results to 3 1/3 pages (100 results), even if there are more results found :(

U
Undisclosed #4
Feb 12, 2020

Does anyone know what HLI is/means in relation to working with a VMS and video feed?

Ethan Ace
Feb 12, 2020

Can you give some context to that? Use it in a sentence? There are a couple meanings for it which may apply which would help us define it in this context.

U
Undisclosed #4
Feb 12, 2020

Sure. “what trigger, event, action is visible from the client after you have performed your analytic? Is it a HLI into milestone within the camera video feed?”

Rob Hammond
Feb 13, 2020
IPVMU Certified

John,

This is a great start. I suggest adding access control, intrusion, IP, telecom and construction abbreviations like: ACAMS, ACS, AFF, AHJ, DGP, EMT, FACP, GC, IDF, IDS, MAC, MDF, PoE, RCP, REX, STP, TIA, TCP/IP, TSP, UPS,

(1)
UI
Feb 13, 2020

I have a sudden urge to include CPP, CFPS, CFE, FACFEI, CHS-IV, SET, CCI, MBAT

(link for those who don't get the reference)

On a more serious note, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. I mean, I could pull out my A+/Network+/Security+ notebooks and give you a couple hundred more acronyms. Just fiber alone gives you a bunch: SC, ST, LC, TOSLINK, SONET, STM, GBIC, MMF, SMF, 10GBase-LR/ER/SR, OM1/2/3/4, FDDI, and those are just ones I learned in a class that wasn't focused on fiber.

(1)
(2)
PC
Peter Collins
Mar 25, 2020
IPVMU Certified

Appears not to contain Varifocal lens

(1)
Derek Ward
Mar 25, 2020
Hanwha

Hello Peter, and good catch! We've added a section for both Varifocal and Fixed lenses in the glossary, but I've included both entries here as well. Thank you, and please inform us of any additional topics you feel we should add!

• Varifocal Lens - Varifocal lenses allow adjustment of the focal length, either adjusted manually using two rotating rings or with a motorized mechanism. Varifocal lenses are specified using their focal length range, such as 2.8-10mm or 25-50mm. Varifocal models are flexible, as they can be adjusted to fit the field of view as needed over fixed lenses. For more information regarding lenses and focal lengths, please see IPVM's Lens Focal Length Tutorial.
  • Fixed Lens - Fixed lenses are locked into one focal length, e.g., 2.8mm, 4mm, 12mm, etc. Their main advantages are simplicity (since no manual adjustment is required) and size, though they are less flexible than varifocal lenses and cannot be fine tuned to fit specific desired fields of view. For more information regarding lenses and focal lengths, please see IPVM's Lens Focal Length Tutorial.
PC
Peter Collins
Mar 27, 2020
IPVMU Certified

Can the Glossary be added to the menu that appears at top of page. ? Maybe under Tools? Just wondering how people are expected to find it . ie is it expected it will be found via the Search box on top RHS ? If so I feel it would be good if it was on a menu ....

(2)
(1)
PC
Peter Collins
Apr 02, 2020
IPVMU Certified

Can a explanation of the term "Zoom Ratio" be added to the glossary?

(1)
Derek Ward
Apr 02, 2020
Hanwha

Good call Peter! Below is the term for Zoom Ratio, and a link to our PTZ guide:

Zoom Ratio - Zoom ratio is formed simply by dividing the camera's maximum focal length by its minimum. For example, a ptz with a focal length of 4.3mm - 129mm would mean a zoom ratio of 30X (129 ÷ 4.3 = 30). However, since lenses have differing wide/telephoto focal lengths, two cameras with the same ratio may have very different fields of view. For more information regarding PTZ's, see IPVM's PTZ Camera Guide.

PC
Peter Collins
Apr 07, 2020
IPVMU Certified

Glossary does not have SaaS

Software as a Service. You do mention this in some of your reports.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
May 12, 2020

I know this is pretty commonplace but you used the Acronym API in the ONVIF explanation but don't list it in the Glosarry.

JH
John Honovich
May 12, 2020
IPVM

#5, thanks for your first comment! APIs added above and copied below:

API - Application Programming Interface is a means whereby systems (e.g., IP cameras or recorders) allow 3rd party systems to integrate. Within video surveillance, most APIs are not public and often require NDAs to access, which is different than many modern cloud or web systems. When systems upgrade, often the API is broken causing problems for 3rd parties integrating, see our API / SDK Tutorial.

U
Undisclosed #6
May 15, 2020

Great glossary, thank you!

Here are some entries that could be included: GDPR, LPR, PSIM, ASIS.

JH
John Honovich
May 15, 2020
IPVM

#6, thanks for your first comment. I've added those in along with ANPR since, in some parts of the world, ANPR is used instead of LPR.

JM
Jiri Myslin
Jul 07, 2020

If you include ASIS, why not also add SIA?

(1)
(1)
Sean Patton
Jul 07, 2020

Thanks Jiri, I added SIA to the list

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Mar 09, 2021

You should add HFoV -- which is used in the camera calculator

Sean Patton
Mar 09, 2021

Thanks UI7, I added it.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 14, 2021
IPVM

Added: Channel - 2 meanings: "the channel" typically refers to companies that distribute and re-sell products but do not manufacture nor primarily buy for their own use (in contrast to ends); "per channel" typically refers to licensing or connectivity for a single imager, camera or encoder feed, most of the time 'channel' there just camera but there are exceptions when it might mean per imager or encoder feed.

Anthony Jones
Aug 15, 2021

Do SNAFU and FUBAR count?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 15, 2021
IPVM

Those are broader than video surveillance...

Lynn Harold
Aug 15, 2021

Maybe add 'Depth of Field' - you had a few good tutorials and demo videos on this topic. It's a configuration I still am challenged by with standard camera lenses.

Derek Ward
Aug 30, 2021
Hanwha

Good addition Lynn! Added Depth of Field and linked to our Depth of Field tutorial.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #8
Sep 06, 2021

Great glossary, especially for people who are not engineers and work in the security/technology industry.There is a definition with which I partially disagree: PSIM.

Implementing a PSIM doesn't have to be costly AND you have to see it as a ROI. You can keep the systems already installed and add new ones from different brands.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions