Thursday October 31, 2013 Daily Update

Brian Rhodes
Oct 31, 2013
IPVMU Certified

It's early, but I wanted to send everyone notice. Tonight is Halloween, so this means I am taking my 4 year old son to like 50 different houses owned by relatives who can pinch his cheeks, take pictures, and give him candy he will not be eating.

This means I'll be out of pocket for a few hours tonight. Roughly 7 ET to 9 ET. Email and calling is fine, I just will be distracted for a while.

PS: He will be dressed up as Willy Wonka, the Gene Wilder version. He was adamant about this. Slighty odd little boy...

Ethan Ace
Oct 31, 2013

Pictures please. That is the better version, after all.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 31, 2013
IPVMU Certified

His mom loves the fact you asked for a picture:

CP
Carlton Purvis
Oct 31, 2013
First task for the morning is to wrap up the Sunbury post

Mary Lynn Garcia Draft revision and follow up questions sent.

IP camera class in the morning.

Camera live monitoring discussion posted

Dewey Beach post updates. County commissioner contacted. I'll update with whatever he says.

Aaron Nigro the "mobotix fraudster" says hes available if we want to talk to him between 10 and noon tomorrow. He says it was all just a big misunderstanding mixed with a smear campaign by a person running for mayor. His explanation for the $2500 a month payment from the city is that he was trying to cut the city a deal on the install. So that $2500 includes everything with install, including pulling wire, plus the price for him to stay in a hotel in the city and for his gas while he's there. He says its a 300 hour job and he usually charges $90/hr for install so they're getting a good deal. He said it's taken him about three months but there are only three cameras left to install as of this week.

Did some looking for people in the security industry to interview. I'm still interested in doing an interview with someone about surveillance cameras in combat situations so I'm going to keep trying with that. From what I learned from the person I was supposed to interview who was a trainer and the procurement officer for a base in Afghanistan, they usually go with whatever is the cheapest but also the most durable. I think it would be interesting to know which cameras they have decided that is.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 01, 2013
IPVM

Wrap up Sunbury ASAP. I don't think there's anymore need to talk to Nigro as I don't see any credible proof that he is frauding anyone (the pricing and products are legit).

I don't think makes sense to spend any more time on Dewey Beach. There's just not enough reader interest.

Derek Ward
Oct 31, 2013
Hanwha

Began writing Geovision report, and Ethan and I went through and made edits to key findings and recommendations. Started to work on images, and I only have a few left to do that I will finish early tomorrow.

Started discussion topic on "How do you focus cameras in the field?", and also created post on "testing autofocus accuracy". I spoke to John on the phone about the positive effects that discussion topics have in terms of user involvement and potential for research and new information.

Attended both IP camera classes.

Brian, I'm going to overnight the Sonicwall tomorrow on my way in to Allentown, so you should have it Saturday.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 01, 2013
IPVM

Keep your image comparisons tights.

This is BAD:

Hard to read the small lines of text and the fine details of the face. And the wall is not of interest anyway. Crop down and get tighter.

This is GOOD.

The face and lines of text are larger so it's easier to make out differences.

Brian Rhodes
Nov 01, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hey Derek, If you need my address - call me.

Ethan Ace
Nov 01, 2013

Today was:

- Classes. It was an interesting day. People had the most questions about thermal I think. The afternoon class remains quieter.

- Bosch edits.

- GeoVision key findings and recommendations with Derek. After that went over what image comparisons support them.

- Good to go tomorrow for camera positioning guide. Starting in the conference room. We're going to have to clean it up before testing so it looks like a functional conference room. Should we set up tables in the middle, even, make it look realistic?

- Going to take a look at class 7 and 8 slides tonight/tomorrow.

Brian Rhodes
Nov 01, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Classes and Discussion Forums today.

Tomorrow: quiz emails and weekend discussion topics.

Collaboration sometime tomorrow PM with Ethan on slide decks for class. Need to send IP Class deck to Lightning no later than noon Monday.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions