FoV - Focal Length Lens Calculator

Brian Rhodes
Oct 15, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Here is an example Field of View/mm Lens calculator.

As we discussed in class, the size of the image sensor directly affects total potential FoV.

From there, you can plug in distance to object, Width (or Height) of FoV, or the available Focal Length(s) of the lens.

Remember: if you have two variables, you can solve for the third:

Any comments or questions, please reply!

Derek Ward
Oct 15, 2013
Hanwha

In a 360° panoramic camera, what affect does the image sensor have? As we discussed, image sensors directly affect total potential FOV, but if the FOV is already at a maximum 360°, what other benefit/tradeoff would I obtain between a 1/3" imager and a 1/2" imager?

CP
Carlton Purvis
Oct 15, 2013

Derek, I actually wrote down something similar in my notes. I have a guess at an answer, but I'm interesting in hearing what Brian has to say as I'm probably wrong ...

Derek Ward
Oct 15, 2013
Hanwha

Carlton, if you could, could you send me your idea via email? I'm curious to hear your answer. Brian sent me an answer through email that I will forward to you.

Ethan Ace
Oct 15, 2013

In short, there may be none. Like in non-panoramic cameras, factors other than imager size have much more effect on performance than pure size these days. for example, this is why the Axis M3007 (1/3.2" image sensor) edges out the Vivotek FE8172V (1/2.5" sensor) in low light, despite a smaller sensor.

TJ
Todd Jensen
Oct 18, 2013

This calculator is awesome. I really like the fact that it allows you to enter in what you know or in my case what the customer would most liekely specify or special request and then gives you what you need to know to answer the question or spec the right camera. Very helpful

JJ
Jeremiah Judson
Nov 21, 2013

Thanks for the additional resource!

TW
Tate Winwood
Nov 26, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for further explaining this calculator and showing an example.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions