Subscriber Discussion

Audio Analytic From IP Camera Mic?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Mar 16, 2019

Anyone out there using the on-board mic  on IP cameras as an audio sensor for alarms (other than shot detection)? At the basic level, looking for scream detection. How’s the reliability? What cameras are you using? Is this an edge or server-based analytic? What are you listening for? Does this generate and event in your VMS? 

Ideally I’d like to get to the point of intelligently (and automatically) monitoring the ambient “hum” in equipment, server or mechanical rooms, then if the sounds start going out of range or anomalies are detected, to have a system generated alarm at which time a maintenance personnel could remotely pull up the live video/audio feed, and if needed dispatch personnel to investigate further. 

Not looking to record the audio, eavesdrop etc...just trying to find a way to make better use of cameras we’re already looking to install.

Now I know my dream end-state would likely require AI to intelligently learn and adapt to the ambient noise of a room, and there are companies and  products that specialize in this...for example NASA is looking to do the same type of mechanical audio monitoring on the ISS, but I have a significantly lower budget.

My objective is to keep this simple, use what’s there and not have to worry about multiple 3rd-party systems and integrations. 

So if anyone uses scream detection on an IP camera available in N.America, I’d love to hear (pun intended) what you’re using and how you like it.

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 16, 2019

I haven't personally tested them but Hanwha has onboard sound classifications which include "scream" detection.  Louroe audio looks to also have a solution too. 

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Mar 18, 2019

Hanwha x series cameras with the latest firmware also have a background noise cancelation function. 

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 16, 2019
IPVMU Certified

At the basic level, looking for scream detection...for example NASA is looking to do the same type of mechanical audio monitoring on the ISS.

because in space no one can hear you scream...

U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 16, 2019
IPVMU Certified

This is admittedly a few years old, but gives an overview/review of Laroue which Michael mentioned:

Audio Analytics Aggression Tested

Derek van der Vorst
Mar 18, 2019

Disclosure: I work for Sound Intelligence

Sound Intelligence develops audio analytics technology that runs embedded on Axis devices and Louroe devices. Please contact us to discuss your specific application.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Nov 24, 2019

I suggest you look at HANWHA’s - X Series Camera with an Analog Louroe Mic, I use these often with the Line-In Input on the Vandal or Bullet Cameras. I believe Hanwha did a Case Study on the Atlanta City Schools with just this Scenario. I believe it’s on the the Hanwha website or either Louroe’s site, below.

Audio Surveillance Equipment and Security Systems - Louroe Electronics

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions