Subscriber Discussion

Whats Everyone Using For A Z-Wave Light Bulb Now?

Sean Nelson
Feb 27, 2019
Nelly's Security

Nortek/Linear decided to stop manufacturing their best selling z-wave light bulb for some reason & without explanation.

I cant find a bulb that was anywhere close to their costs. Seems Z-wave has gone to the wayside of zigbee (Thanks to Amazon Echo) At any rate, many of the alarm panels still use z-wave so I gotta find one to stock that is hopefully around the same costs as the linear. Any help would be appreciated!

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 27, 2019

I avoid automated bulbs and prefer instead to use hard-wired switches, or outlet modules to control lighting loads. Too many issues trying to get color matching across multiple brands of bulbs. Let the user select the ideal bulb and then control it externally.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 28, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Nortek/Linear decided to stop manufacturing their best selling z-wave light bulb for some reason & without explanation.

It might have been just my experience, but the five bulbs I bought all stopped working or lost connectivity after a few months of use.  I thought those bulbs were junk, and my hunch is that must have been common.

I've subsequently had good success with Jasco/GE's bulb. I bought a box of four for ~$55, or ~$14 each.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 28, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I bought all stopped working or lost connectivity after a few months of use...

They should come with a micro-bypass switch to directly connect the driver to the diodes in case the bulb don’t boot.

Sean Nelson
Feb 28, 2019
Nelly's Security

Looks like those are being discontinues as well too

(1)
JD
Jeff Dallmann
Feb 28, 2019

I only have a few GE Bulbs I keep using for my smart home, as I have 3 lamps that switches aren't an option.  They are Zigbee if I recall, but anything I can switch, I do so over to Leviton ZWave switches.  I do so because they match existing switches in appearance and offer the Light Almond option.  I hear many like the Caseta switches and apparently many if not most don't require a neutral.  A non issue in my home.

I want my home smart, but I want anyone to walk in and not need a description on how to operate things.  So far I've done that, using Wink.  I hear SmartThings is better with integrations, but UI is more confusing.  I don't really care as most is setup with robots, after all that is the point of HA stuff.  Alexa annoys me once in a while, but she seems fine with my wife, not me.

DE
Dennis Eversole
Feb 28, 2019

Smartthings has come a long way to usability and automation, I just wish they had a full Desktop app (in a browser or not).  I have tried GE/Jasco and a couple of brands of switches including the Leviton (which are much better), but have standardized on Lutron Caseta - note that it does require its own Bridge (hub) that integrates into the Smartthings.  Great switches and remotes. 

For Bulbs (where I don't want to change the switch) I am using Philips HUE at the moment (like Lutron, requires its own Bridge/Hub and integrates to Smartthings).

I'm a geek, so integrating multiple bridge/hub units doesnt bother me, as long as I get the look/functionality I want from the system.  Otherwise, I would go for Leviton hardwire switches everywhere.

Ethan Ace
Mar 04, 2019

I'm late to this party, but Z-Wave/Zigbee light bulbs exist to eliminate a really common problem in smart homes, the lack of neutrals at switch boxes. It was very common for a long time to run the power to the light, then run a 12/2 down to the switch to break the hot, instead of running a neutral to the switch, then up to the light.

Most Z-Wave switches will not work without a neutral, or if they do, they never work quite right. Lights flicker or stay on at a low level even when the switch is "off". By contrast, anyone* can screw in a light bulb. It's not as usable, but it's workable where other options might not be.

I've been living with two smart homes for ten years, and while I prefer switches, I still have several light bulbs floating around.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 04, 2019

Switch has to always be powered, even when the lights are off, because you have an active component waiting for wireless command even when lights are off.

Steve Beck
Mar 04, 2019

Gosh darn. I just installed 4 of the LB60Z1 light bulbs in my house in October and they had worked great so far. I did take a look at the GE/Jasco. I didn't like my options with the bulbs but it's so much easier swapping a bulb than a switch. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions