Subscriber Discussion

Does IPVM Have A Compare/Contrast Document Between Port-Forwarding, Port-Triggering And VPN

John Campbell
Feb 22, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I am attempting to harden my system to it's greatest ability and this information would be most helpful.

John S Campbell

Brian Rhodes
Feb 24, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Hello John:

You may find this useful: Remote Network Access for Video Surveillance Guide

We address the various options like Port Fowarding vs. VLANs.  Does this help?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 24, 2019
IPVM

John, port triggering is not applicable / used in video surveillance.

As, for example, the Wikipedia Port triggering article explains:

Port triggering is unsuitable for servers behind a NAT router because it relies on the local computer to make an outgoing connection before it can receive incoming ones. [emphasis added]

By contrast, in video surveillance, the remote computer (e.g., one's mobile phone) makes the incoming connection / request to start viewing video.

It's a good question, though. I had to check around on various sites to see if anyone was doing it for video surveillance, but I found no evidence and structurally that makes sense given how remote video surveillance monitoring works.

(1)
John Campbell
Feb 24, 2019
IPVMU Certified

This is excellent information Thank you John for taking the time to explain this and straighten me out...  VPN is than the method of chose for me...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions