Class 11 Assignment - Report Your WiFi Signal Strength In Dbm

John Scanlan
Feb 19, 2019
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

In class 11 we discuss how signal strength is measured. It is important to be able to understand and report this information when troubleshooting or commissioning wireless equipment - beyond the graphical representation of "It has 2 bars, I think it should work?".

Use the software of your choice or download a free copy of Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector to report the signal strength of a wireless network in dBm. You can do this assignment at home, work, or on a public network.

Below is my example:

In the image below you can see that my signal strength is -12 dBm, a very strong signal as the laptop is in close proximity to the IPVM-test access point.

When the laptop is relocated to the entryway of the office the signal drops to -57 dBm, -60dBm at the MIS department, and in our warehouse the signal is lower at -66 dBm.

Below is a floor plan showing where the dBm readings were taken.

Start as close to the wireless device (router / access point) and take a reading, then move away from the wireless device and take a second reading - report the software you used and multiple dBm readings here.

(Tip - Your office may have multiple access points broadcasting the same SSID. Ensure that you are reporting on the same device by verifying the MAC address).
Brandon Knutson
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Multiple AP's here at work so I couldn't go too far...

Brandon Knutson
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Is there a mobile app that can act as a Wi-Fi signal strength / dBm meter?

(1)
Roger Duvalier
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I use one called "Net Analyzer" if that helps you.

(1)
GG
Gary Girton
Feb 21, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I have the iphone version of Net Analyzer and can not find the wifi dBm signal strength feature on the app. Are you using an iPhone or maybe this is an android feature?

(1)
SG
Sandip Gajjar
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I have used an Android app called "Wi-Fi analyzer" seems to work great. I am however looking for an iOS app that will allow me to do the same on my phone.

(1)
GG
Gary Girton
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I just download an iphone app called Wifi Signal Pro. $3 but it seems to work good and has good ratings from over 200 people.

John Campbell
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I am using 2 wi-fi analyzers to compare the products on SSID Digital1.  We are using an Ubiquitis system to upload video from our vehicles.

Xirrus and NetSpot are the 2 wifi-analyzers

The distance between vehicle #1 and vehicle #7 is 117 feet with trees in line of sight to vehicle #7. Distance from Ubiquitis antenna to vehicle #1 is approx. 250 feet ground to roof.

Vehicle #1

Vehicle #7

Conclusion:

From these reading of signal strength comparing location vehicle #1 to vehicle #2

#1 at -59dBm and #7 -58dBm and -55dBm there is no significant issue of signal strength between these vehicles and their approx. location to antenna.

What I can take away from this exercise is:

When issues of vehicles not  (ie #7 farthest away) automatically uploading videos covering a daily shift and #1 has no issues, confidently I can say it is not due to signal strength.

Roger Duvalier
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I'm using my phone to do this homework using the "Net Analyzer" app for android.

I was following the "JemiGuest" SSID signal.
I started as near as possible and took pictures at certain increments.

At about 20ft from initial position it dropped from -29 dBm to -44 dBm.

After another 10-15ft it dropped from -44 dBm to -48 dBm.

The more drastic change happened when I went another 30ft and through 2 doorways.
It jumped from -48dBm to -71 dBm.

Seeing this makes me realize that this is just another aspect that needs to be taken into consideration when setting up wireless infrastructure. Not only distance, but obstacles.

John Collins
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I used the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector tool on my laptop.

I tested in my home.

indoor

basement

next to router

-22 dBm

indoor

1st floor

living room

-39 dBm

indoor

1st floor

dining room

-70 dBm

indoor

1st floor

kitchen

-67 dBm

indoor

2nd floor

study

-70 dBm

indoor

2nd floor

bedroom

-69 dBm

outdoor

street

-69 dBm

outdoor

side porch

-75 dBm

outdoor

detached garage

-70 dBm

SG
Sandip Gajjar
Feb 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I used the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector on my lab network router SSID: NETTOT5

This connection is via the 5Ghz band.

Following screen shot shows strong signal at -28dBm with router in very close range

Next, signal strength measured at -55 dbm at about half distance from the router to the edge of the office building (in next screen shot)

Next we have about -69 to -70 dBm reading at the farthest end of the office building as shown below.

AW
Anthony Wilson
Feb 21, 2019
IPVMU Certified

For this assignment I'm using NetSpot.

This is from the couch about 5 feet from the router

This is upstairs in my home office. Its upstairs (one level) and about 30 feet to the left.

GG
Gary Girton
Feb 21, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Used Wifi Signal Pro iphone app at my house. Router Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000

1st Floor Back office (next to router)   -31 dBm

1st Floor Front of house                     -57 dBm

2nd Floor front of house                    -70 dBm

Basement front of house                   -73 dBm

Outside front yard                            -74 dBm

JP
Joe Ponton
Feb 21, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Starting next to the router and moved to several different spots and it doesn't change. I refreshed, restarted and even closed the application and it stays the same. I went as far as I could without walking in the street.

JM
Joe Monaco
Feb 22, 2019
IPVMU Certified

So I started at the far end of my house from the router, walked to it, and then walked back. I'm shocked at how it changed.

LW
Leon W Adams III
Feb 22, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I used Windows WiFi Analyzer:

This is about a foot away from router:

This is in the bedroom same floor, about 40 feet away:

Lastly this out back on my deck, about 75 feet away:

AS
AARON STARR
Feb 22, 2019
IPVMU Certified

ef
eric fry
Feb 24, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I used Wi-Fi inspector on a Laptop running Windows.  The first reading was in Floor 2 directly above the Xfinity AP. The second reading was standing within 2 feet of the AP. 

#1 - Note: I found that the radar Graph did not accurately represent the distance impact between the two locations that were tested. The history graph looked like a better representation and shows -.35 dBm signal strength -See below

# 2 - Signal Level -.65 dBm

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Feb 24, 2019

I had to use just a single Access Point for this test, which meant disabling the others.

As expected, the signal is better the closer you are to the signal, except for the anomaly in the centre of the building, which is explained by the amount of RF interference that happenes at that desk.

The software used for this, was the Android App, Wifi Analyzer by farproc. I have always favoured this app as it is accuate, takes advantage of the 2.4GHz/5GHz in my phone and is free.

JR
John Rafter
Feb 25, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I used my mobile phone as a hotspot for this test. With the phone set within one foot of my lap top the test came back at -26dbm. I moved the phone one meter away and this jumpred immediately to -55dbm. I wasn't expecting such a jump. I moved it three meters away and got a strange result, the signal increased to -51dbm. Next I moved the phone outside the room to more than five meters away and the result increased again to -49. Then it fluctuated between -48 and -52.

RK
Rick Kerckaert
Feb 25, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I used the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector on my laptop, from various points throughout my home.

GV
George Valdovinos
Feb 25, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Bob Smith
Feb 25, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Wifi Signal Pro (iPhone app)

EnGenius Wireless Access Point (EWS360AP)

Connected via iPhone to the 2.4GHz signal feed

Directly underneath WAP =-35dBm (Excellent)

15' away = -53dBm (Good)

45' away = -23dBm (Excellent)

100' away = -65dBm (Reliable)

Very interesting that my best signal strength was at 45' away from the WAP.

JT
Jason Turnbull
Feb 26, 2019
IPVMU Certified

JB
Jared Blundell
Feb 26, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Here were my results.

NJ
Nicholas Jones
Feb 26, 2019
IPVMU Certified

AV
Adam Visser
Feb 26, 2019
IPVMU Certified

CL
Charles LaSalle
Feb 26, 2019
IPVMU Certified

The below pictures are starting off closest to the access point at my work and gradually getting farther away.

-57dBm to -68dBm to -72dBm

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Feb 28, 2019

I am using a Linksys WRT-3200ACM with DD-WRT firmware. 

Used Net Analyzer on my Samsung phone. Network = 5TKTH4

At 3 feet aware from the access point, the signal strength was -55dBm. in the basement, the analyzer showed -76dBm - this was directly underneath the access point. 

DB
Denis Boulet
Feb 28, 2019
IPVMU Certified

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.PNG

Wi-Fi signal pro on iPhone offers a lot of great tools to du your wifi survey and more..

DR
David Ritland
Mar 02, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Jason Thomas
Mar 02, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I can't move my computer.

Neat application. My computer is in the same room with a newer AC Router. my SS is -36db

EB
Edward Beavis
Mar 02, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I chose to do this assignment at home with my wireless router using the 2.4GHZ 802.11n WLAN. I used the Xirrus WiFi Inspector. The router is located at the front of the house on the 1st floor.

I started in the same room as the router and the signal strength was ~ -40 dBm

I then moved to a bedroom on the same floor. It is at the back of the house about 30 feet away and the signal strength was ~ -60 dBm

The 3rd location was in the basement at the back of the house (the furthest from the router) and the signal strength was ~ -70 dBm

While in the basement I did a 4th test directly below the router and the signal strength was back around ~ -40 dBm

Below is the graph showing the varying signal strength as I wandered about my house. The strength never went below -70 dBm or above -30 dBm. I wish that I was able to connect to the 5 GHZ network with my laptop because it would have been interesting to compare the signal strength for both networks throughout the house. 

MB
Michael Blumenson
Mar 04, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Scanned network is "DSS" on the top.

The first was taken at the front entrance about 35 feet distance. 

Second reading taken about 20 feet from the router.

MD
Mike Daly
Mar 04, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Used Wifi Analyzer:

First Reading:

Second Reading Further away:

Abaas Mahroos
Mar 05, 2019
Al Aswar Trading Group • IPVMU Certified

Right beside my home router the signal is at its strongest at -39 dbm

In my living room the signal is -69 dbm

As I move away to the bathroom, the signal drops significantly to -84 dbm as there are several concrete walls in the way:

Stephen Neckers
Mar 05, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Using WIFI Analyzer app on phone

-20dBm next to the router

-30dBm at 5 ft from router

-40dBm at 10ft from router

-50dBm at 15ft from router

-60dBm at 20 ft from router

The app shows it in graph form so I rounded

Rich Salvati
Mar 10, 2019
IPVMU Certified

In this example I used the AirPort Utility Wi-Fi Scan app on my iPhone. I've found this tool to be accurate with the other software/downloadable tools which I've used in the past. the nice thing is that it's free + you do not have to register it like 3rd party software and worry about a bunch of spam email. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions