Subscriber Discussion

Are PoE Calculations Finite Within A Class ?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 24, 2019

If I have a PoE switch that can provide say 160W of power, and I plug in say 10 Class 0 devices, will each port be assigned 15.4W or only the power required ?

Basically, I'm wanting to know if when you plug in a device if it determines the Class it belongs to and sets aside the power, or if power is fed to devices on an as needed basis.

SP
Scott Proper
Jan 25, 2019
IPVMU Certified

No, the required amount of power required will vary.

BW
Brian Williams
Feb 20, 2019

it will draw off the max available for each port... if the device only needs 10 watts, the switch will still have 15.4 available. but your device wont work if it needs more than the specified wattage.

the switch itself will be rated for it's PoE capabilities... depends on what power class your switch is compatible with...

I would imagine some switches are variable if has hardware configured for that feature..

But for switches that are only capable of 1 power class.... my initial statement applies.

BW
Brian Williams
Feb 20, 2019

as for the PoE calcs???

no, the calcs are not finite because different devices draw more or less power...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions