Axis Tailgate Detection Tested

Rob Kilpatrick
Jan 02, 2019
IPVM • IPVMU Certified
Intro Summary Pricing Setup Performance Versions Used  ...

Read the full report here
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 04, 2019

Interesting version of people counting analytics.  In a real life scenario, anyone entering after a “door propped” event is tailgating.  

Others have tried to visually monitor the door position or use an integration to the ACS to determine the correct amount of valid card reads to people.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jan 04, 2019

I would have to test but this should integrate easily with Avigilon ACC with Arbitrary Events

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jan 04, 2019

What happens when you do a real piggyback??

Image result for piggyback

(6)
Ethan Ace
Jan 04, 2019

I'm trying to find out but Rob won't carry any of us for some reason...

(1)
(7)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jan 04, 2019

That red beard to ticklish on the back of his neck!!!

(1)
Sergey Bystrov
Jan 04, 2019
NetworkOptix

For the sake of improving the experience, what's the difference between one red dot and two yellow dots in VMS integration comparison in this case?  

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Jan 05, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Two yellow dots are better than one red dot meaning it integrates better.  Sorry, couldn't resist!

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 07, 2019

Perhaps they can test this at a the super bowl tailgate party.

(1)
Sergey Bystrov
Jan 07, 2019
NetworkOptix

Rob, IPVM team? 

Ethan Ace
Jan 07, 2019

What, was Ross' answer not good enough?! :)

The one red dot (in this case Avigilon) means no integration. The two yellow means there is integration possible, in this case via HTTP/TCP events from the camera to the VMSes (Exacq, Milestone, and Nx Witness). But it's user-configured and takes some time/skill to set up. Genetec gets a green because it captures the event out of the box.

(1)
Sergey Bystrov
Jan 07, 2019
NetworkOptix

was not good enough..:-)

All I'm trying to do is to understand, how we can improve it. 

So you say:
The one red dot means no integration.

on another hand:
TCP strings sent from the camera upon event are compatible with Exacq, Milestone, and NxWitness

So my question is, since it works, what did we do so much outline to deserve one red dot:-) Is it by mistake, or did we indeed screw big time something? If so, I want to know. 

(1)
Ethan Ace
Jan 07, 2019

Ah, sorry, now I understand your confusion. You were supposed to get the two yellows, as well. I've fixed that in the report.

(1)
Sergey Bystrov
Jan 07, 2019
NetworkOptix

ok. thanks. 

Sergey Bystrov
Jan 07, 2019
NetworkOptix

sorry I'm afraid instead of replying to you, I commented on the post, please see below. 

U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 10, 2019

Is this really a practical solution without integration to the ACS to filter out multiple entries following a valid card read for each one? Otherwise there will be a lot of nuisance alarms for people that have held a door open for the next person, but they have both diligently followed security SOPs and presented their cards first.

Would a better approach (although more expensive) not be to use Facial Recognition with a whitelist of staff and visitors?

(2)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 10, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Face Recognition is more practical?!?

The goal of this product is to alert on exceptions.  The potential nuisance alarms from:

'people that have held a door open for the next person, but they have both diligently followed security SOPs and presented their cards first'

is not typical, but if that were the expected behavior then this Axis analytic may not be the solution.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 10, 2019

I just wonder where this would actually work well in practice as it’s not unusual for two authorised people to be passing through an entrance at the same time (whether both badging in or not). Perhaps very small sites or low throughput doors? Even then would you really want an alarm every time two people came back from a meeting together? Or am I missing something? 

U
Undisclosed #3
Jun 18, 2019

Any tests or comparison with this product?

https://orioneci.com/doorguard/

NOTICE: This comment has been moved to its own discussion: Any Tests Or Feedback On Orion Secure Doorguard?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions