Subscriber Discussion

Elevator Travel Cable (Custom?)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 26, 2018

Hi guys,

I have a job that I'm working on that requires a camera, phone and access control reader in an elevator cab. It's a three floor building. (B,1,2)

I need to get 2 cat5 cables and a 22/6 shielded cable into the cab. The elevator company that I'm working with told me that by code they can't strap more than 1 cable to the traveler, and that they would order the cable. They just called me to tell me that their supplier doesn't stock anything similar.

I started searching but am having a tough time finding a composite cable that has anything similar to what I'm looking for. 

Any ideas on where I can find such cable? or perhaps a different idea that I'm not seeing?

Thanks guys!

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 26, 2018

In my experience I have always been told you cannot get Category cable in a travel cable due to the fact it will fail too quickly which makes sense if you look at the construction of the cable.  What we have always asked for is one or two coax cables and shielded 2-conductor cables.  We then use ethernet to coax converters or when necessary, ethernet to twisted pair converters. 

(4)
(1)
UI
Dec 26, 2018

I'm thinking if the cable was stranded then it shouldn't be an issue.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 26, 2018

I was thinking the same thing as well but was told they will still not have a long life span do to the fact the cable is 24 awg and the cable pairs will untwist.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 26, 2018

Does the phone have to be analog? Can you do VoIP phone, IP camera and an IP access control setup (might require a reader and a local board like an EP1501 that supports Ethernet)? That way you'd run one CatX cable, and then have a small switch that rides on the car to connect everything together.

(1)
UI
Dec 26, 2018

No the phone will be IP. Different Vlan, so putting a switch above the cab would have to be a switch capable of carrying different vlan traffic. I really don't want to go that route being that I would have to get power to the switch as well as have issues accessing the switch if I ever need to reset or maintain.

The Elevator ACU is already installed in the control room ready to be connected. We were only told that we had an issue this past Friday... 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #10
Dec 27, 2018

What brand of IP phone? Many IP phones have a switch built in, and the ability pass untagged traffic on the secondary port. This is very common.

I second the idea of using ethernet over copper adapters. They work great, are relatively inexpensive, and don't require any interaction with the elevator co.

UI
Dec 27, 2018

The IP phone isn't an issue. I could always put a small managed switch above the car. 

Do you have a recommended ethernet over two wire that's reliable long term?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #10
Dec 27, 2018

I've used the Comnet CLFE series with great success. They make a good hardened product, and are readily available.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Dec 26, 2018

Hi,

In stud of CatX - better to Go Wireless. Point to Point on Cambium Force 180.  this works with all the above load.

regards,

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Dec 26, 2018

We have always done point to point wireless.  Obviously clean line of site with power on both sides.  

U
Undisclosed #9
Dec 26, 2018

Agree with your wireless as a solution, but would like to see more suggestions with the same price point as Cambium such as Ubiquiti, EnGenius or 2N($$$). 

2N has a wide angle lens model, is an intercom and has an onboard reader that can be configured with Hi/Low frequency proximity and or their free proprietary Bluetooth credentials. IPVM did a review, seemed the reader has some performance issues. I am sure someone will link it. If stand alone can be used, bench test Ubiquiti's G3 Micro. This unit can 2-way audio, record that audio which can interface with a front desk or GSOC tablet/smartphone or PC. If the video also needs to go to the VMS, bench test if the unit can perform 1:1 with the UBT system and RSTP to the VMS. 

PtP wireless or even PtMP mesh in the elevator shaft should be an achievable price point when compared to a hard wire option. On top of the cab install a 8 port PoE+ switch to provide power+data to all your devices individually such as video, access and intercom. Should your access system not have a single point ethernet controller you can use one of many devices such as this link to convert the signal over IP ethernet.

https://www.ascendancewireless.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/SecureLINX-Wiegand-datasheet-1.pdf

Good Luck!

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Dec 26, 2018

Elevator companies employ the razor/razor blade theory...bid very low on the initial elevator installation, and get high fees for every subsequent visit and upgrade.  Trailing cables are ridiculously expensive.  Use the mandated existing 2-conductor telephone/intercom pair by installing an Ethernet adaptor (Comnet or other) and do everything via IP.

Most codes allow installation of ancillary devices on top of the cab, with a typical escape hatch clearance of 18".  Check local codes.

(1)
UI
Dec 26, 2018

The unique beauty about this job is that the elevator company's main offices occupy the second floor of this building.

(2)
Clint Hays
Dec 26, 2018

Just put in Ethernet adaptors for any two conductors you can use. Getting an elevator company to provide anything, and actually having it being there at installation, is a nightmare.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #6
Dec 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Also, you might consider piggybacking on the power...

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Dec 26, 2018

Most elevators i have worked with have spare traveler cables.  We use these with great success. https://www.nvtphybridge.com/portfolio-item/nv-ec-1701u/#tab-id-4

(1)
(1)
UI
Dec 26, 2018

Ok so the issue is that the access control panel and the IO board are all configured and installed in the control room. The elevator company is willing to do the extra cable install, I just need to find a cable that has all of the cables that I need in one jacket. (Cat5e,Cat5e,22/6 shld) or something similar. Once I have this elusive cable I could have in installed and be on my way.

I don't want to put a switch above the cab as I see that as a device that may need servicing one day and I know it's not going to be a walk in the park to get to it and take the cab offline.

I did some more calling around and was told to look for festoon cable? No one else has been it my shoes before I assume?

Dave Gideon
Dec 27, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Try Power & Tel (www.ptsupply.com). The sell all types of cable including underground-rated CAT5 which I've used before. The cable is very flexible and filled with dielectric grease to keep moisture out. I haven't used them in some time but they also make custom cable assemblies. I don't know if they can meet your requirements and if so, how cost-effective it might be but they're great folks to deal with and very flexible. If I was in your situation, they'd be my first call.

UI
Dec 27, 2018

Thank you David, I called them but they were not able to help me.

Tyler Graham
Dec 27, 2018

What you are looking for is robotic cable. We use this for a custom build.

http://www.l-com.com/ethernet-cat5e-industrial-hi-flex-fr-tpe-jacket-4-pr-stranded-24-awg-1000ft-black

But I'm with everyone else, use Ethernet over two wire adapters and put a switch above the cab so you aren't responsible for the travel cable.

UI
Dec 27, 2018

Thanks Tyler, I've used regular cat5e stranded in the past without issue. The problem I have here is the amount of wires that the elevator company will run for us.

I guess the convertor is gonna have to be my best bet at this point.

Ml
Mendy lewis
Dec 27, 2018
Safezone24

Ethernet over 2 wires adapter is grate solution, I have Paxton intercom/access control inside the cab running on it,

Daniel S-T
Dec 27, 2018

The elevators in our facilities use coax, that may be because it was analog at one point. We are using a coax to Ethernet converter on each end, from Altronix. It seems to work for us, very little issue.

The last time I personally did phone and access reader in an elevator, it was an analog phone so I just needed two conductors, and the reader I used four or five conductors, I may have skipped using the LED of the reader due to a lack of available conductors.

As others have said, I've heard of people just doing a PTP in the elevator shaft. I've not done it myself, but I can't see why it wouldn't work just as well.

Jeffrey Hinckley
Dec 27, 2018

99 percent of the time, there is a free pair of 16 or 18 gauge wire.  Use the NVT two wire poe solution.  Not sure on the access control solution, but a POE controller here with reader programmed to events and relays in elevator room?  POE phone.  Use three NVT devices at elevator synchronized to one and power (and connected to network) in machine room.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #11
Dec 27, 2018

We use Veracity adapters to allow for Ethernet over 2 wires - works great.  We've got them in 30 story elevators and have very little problems.  The elevator guys are able to give us some spare pairs out of the existing traveling cable, and each Ethernet connection only needs two wires to function with the Veracity adapters.  Card reader is easy to either find spare pairs or add, but they also make an adapter for card readers that gives you power, LED, beeper and wiegand data over two wires - look at CypressIntegration.com

(2)
Chuck Janzer
Dec 28, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We have done numerous IP cameras and access control projects in elevators.  I no longer ask for anything special other than two or four spare wires.  We use a combination of IP over twisted pair devices - as mentioned, NVTPhybridge has numerous solutions as do many others.  For access control we use any of the Cypress Integration  http://cypressintegration.com/  products that are appropriate.  Using two or four wires you can get full wiegand data and closures to and from the cab.  Cypress also has the IP transport version, so you could use IP over the pair, then add both the camera and access control.  In one case we used only one pair for data and installed a power brick inside the cab to create the low voltage for the small switch, camera, and access reader.  The phone pair has always been required. If you are responsible for that, there is your pair.  No separate travel cable required.   More and more of the elevator guys are familiar with these products and are willing to work with us to find hiding spots for the electronics packages.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions