Subscriber Discussion

Who Provides The Electrified Door Hardware?

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 20, 2018

I'm on a fairly large project where there's some uncertainty about who should provide the electrified locksets. The GC, the Security Contractor, the Owner, other? Any of these could do so, but what's the norm? Similar thinking on who is to install those locksets. I'd be grateful to know what works and what does not. Thanks in advance!

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Dec 20, 2018

If this is a project with the normal GC contracting arrangement, the electrified door hardware is usually provided by the doors and opening sub-contractor working for the GC. On smaller projects, we have tried to get this changed so we (the security contractor) can include the locks in our scope of work, but it's usually difficult to change.  Aside from increasing our piece of the pie a bit, we like to be responsible for the electric locks so we can ensure the proper voltage and sensor options (like integral DSS and/or REX devices) as well as an required special power supplies end up at the jobsite.  We do a lot of POE powered stuff, so we need 12 VDC electric strikes, for example.

We've had 24 VDC electric strikes appear in the door frames sometimes after painstakingly sending through multiple clarifications up to GC about needing 12 VDC, etc.  Fortunately, you can change out the solenoids on Von Duprin electric strikes to 12 VDC.

After all is said and done, unless you get into the specification process very early and can ensure all of the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted so that you can provide the locks, you still have to make sure you've got the required door prep issues covered as well or you run the risk of the door contractor assuming that since they weren't furnishing the locks, that they aren't responsible for the normal door prep they usually do/provide for the controlled doors.  It can get messy once locks specified to be provided by Division 8 are broken out to be provided by the Security division.

The bottom line is that you can usually find quite easily who is responsible for furnishing and installing the electric locks on a GC construction project by closely reviewing the Division 8 spec section for doors and openings .. it will be in there.

Caveat: For any doors specified to have electronic latch retraction, like Stanley/Precision, etc., the door guys will sometimes forget to include the required matching power supplies and it can get into a battle over who provides them since a lot of boiler-plate security specs will say in a cloudy way that the Security contractor provides their own power supplies, but this is mainly for their control panels and conventional electric locks that don't require a special/proprietary power supply panel.

(6)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 20, 2018

Thanks for that prompt and comprehensive response!  Very Helpful!

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 20, 2018

Also be mindful of local code requirements; for instance electrified locking hardware in California requires a C28 license to perform some of the work. Example: Drill coring fire rated doors, they need to be recertified. Also: http://www.cslb.ca.gov/About_Us/Library/Licensing_Classifications/C-28_-_Lock_And_Security_Equipment.aspx

I work at a Union shop so we do it all, most of the security guys only have to bid their own division we usually bid more than one division. You also got to know who the GC is, their history and reputation. It is also key to network in your area to find out if there are anyone playing favorites, reach out to the GC or prime and ask if they have those divisions cover and if they would like an alternative bid just incase their group gets too busy. This also helps in the future where that GC's company puts you on the A list for future bids. If you get familiar with locking hardware you can also just sub it out, there are plenty of small lock shops that will want to do the work.

Good Luck out there!

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Dec 20, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Good luck with that. The door hardware is always a never ending battle as to who provides and who installs. It can be spelled out clear as day and in black and white and someone will still say they aren't the ones to do the work even though the spec and prints say otherwise.

(2)
(1)
Daniel S-T
Dec 21, 2018

I mean if the GC doesn't know, I feel like you've got some big problems. Otherwise I mostly agree with UI#2. Most of the time it's who ever provided the doors and door hardware. Sometimes it's clear who provides the hardware, sometimes not as clear who installs it.

Rob Hammond
Dec 21, 2018
IPVMU Certified

As a specifier, I am uncomfortable in having a technician do carpentry work, and a carpenter doing technician work.  I worry that a Div 28 tech is not typically knowledgeable about the complexities of door hardware and prep.  I also worry about who is going to provide warranty for the devices.  If Div 8 supplies complex integrated electronic locks, are they going to make the service call to repair and configure them?  Likely the Div 28 tech will have to do the troubleshooting and configuration.  On a large project with hundreds of locks, who is going to pay for the Div 28 warranty labor, if Div 8 is taking the profit for the locks?

What I like to do is have Div 28 supply the electronic lock hardware to Div 8.  This requires the Div 28 and 8 specifiers to closely coordinate their specs to make sure there are no gaps in their specifications.  The hardware specifiers that I work with are OK with this arrangement, as they understand the challenges of Div 8 providing technical support on an access control system supplied by a different contractor.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Dec 21, 2018

I'm just curious how you deal with manufacturer's acting as the Div 08 specifier for free.

Coordination is constantly kicked down the road until the contractor RFIs start coming in my experience. The architects are getting what they pay for.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Dec 21, 2018

Good point UD#4 ... isn't this the way it "has always been"?  lol  Seriously though, Assa Abloy and Allegion have armies of well-trained and very competent door hardware reps who blanket the consulting engineer/A&E firm markets and are always willing and ready to help specify (de-cipher) those 25-character-long part numbers for door hardware and locking components.  I just wish the submittals that the Div 8 door suppliers provide (that A&E firms often approve) would be more definitive and detailed as to exactly what is coming from the Div 8 supplier and it not have the elements of uncertainty we often experience.

Note to A&E Firms:  for the 20% of the time this occurs: Please require the Div 8 submittals to be more than a quick check-off effort of the boilerplate catalog pages from the door/door hardware distributor or rep firm. It is often difficult to correlate these submittals with what is shown on the door schedule drawings and/or the door hardware sets listed in the Div 8 specs when the Div 8 door hardware submittal is prepared with minimal effort .. just sayin'

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions