Subscriber Discussion

Need To Purchase Another Vehicle. Should I Go For Another Van Or A Pickup?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 11, 2018

I currently have a ford transit (not connect), and a beater minivan. I am thinking of purchasing another vehicle for the crews to use. Would you go for another van or a pickup? On one hand, the pickup may be better on the other, there is no real practical storage.

What would you do?

Thank you

Daniel S-T
Dec 11, 2018

I have a half ton as a person vehicle, and always had vans, from Pontiac Montanas, to Dodge Caravans, to the newish Promaster. Always sort of preffered the van. While I enjoy having my truck for person use, it's a pain for wanting storage.

In one of the other vehicle threads, some one said they used a Suburban as their service truck, and I thought that was a neat idea. My first truck was a 96 Suburban 1500. Lots of room, smoother ride than a standard half ton, can still tow quite a bit if you want it to.

Even a Tahoe or something maybe.

At my current work, we have an unmarked Nissan Rogue we use. No ladder rack on it, but it handles on the road better than our Promasters.

SD
Shannon Davis
Dec 11, 2018
IPVMU Certified

To me a van in more practical than a truck. 

A van is much easier to secure than a truck that has a topper with multiple openings. Walk around and make sure each one is locked or with a van just hit the lock button on the remote. That feature alone over the coarse of a year saves quite a bit of labor.

A van has room inside for the technician to get in out of the weather and much easier to keep organized.

Vans are much more fuel efficient than they used to be so that's a mute point these days.

Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 11, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

I love my GM 3/4 ton van. My newest one has the drivers side rear doors as well as the passenger side. This allows me to access both sides of the van easily. I put racks down the center of the middle of the van. This makes these shelves much easier to get to without having to actually climb into the van. Makes the deep parts of the van easier to get to and much more likely to be used. My previous GM van was only a 1/2 ton and only had the passenger side doors. Having the stiffer springs, the V8, and the extra set of doors is make or break for me.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 11, 2018
IPVMU Certified

As noted in the previous responses, the typical role the vehicle is used is a big factor.

If everyday installs and service will be typical, a van makes sense.  If a sales person or manager will drive it, maybe a truck or SUV that can perform yeoman duty for both service or sales makes sense.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Dec 11, 2018

I've owned full size vans, Astro Vans, and most recently a 2013 Transit Connect XLT, I bought coming off lease from a Fortune 500 field service lease (Diebold), a couple of years ago. Link to post by U4    I had a buddy shop a fleet auction in Orlando, and picked one up for me.  It was 3 years old, had 110,000 miles.  Going rate on KBB was $10-11k, and he got it for me for $7k. 

It's without question the best service/tech vehicle I've ever owned.  I'll drive it until the wheels fall off.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions