Subscriber Discussion

Need Recommendation For Managed Outdoor Rated Switch With 2/4 PoE Ports + Up-Link Port

GH
Greg Huff
Nov 28, 2018

I need to put a small PoE switch in what is essentially a metal shed. The shed is waterproof, but unconditioned. So, the switch will need to operate in south Texas temperatures and humidity.

AC power is already available in the shed. The data connection will be done with an underground copper cable, so the switch does not need to have the option of a fiber up-link.

Definitely want a managed switch and need at least two standard power PoE ports and an up-link port. Would prefer to have 4 PoE ports if the price premium is not unreasonable.

There is plenty of space to install an enclosure if one is necessary.

I've searched existing discussions and found mention of Microsemi and Ubiquity products. But, these threads are old and the productions mentioned are no longer available.

What are people using for this type of solution?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 28, 2018

I've been  using these for years.

www.comnet.net

(2)
LB
Lee Brown
Nov 28, 2018

This 4 port Planet IGS-604HPT-RJ came highly recommended for use at a location here in AZ. I Just put it on the bench for testing / configuration. The interface has all the expected level2 features and then some. The build quality is robust. I have only tried two POE + devices on it so far.

Planet Outdoor 4 Prt POE

I have an outdoor IP PTZ that refuses to fully power up and a 48MP panorama that works well. 802.3af cameras work very well and the switch WebUI shows detailed power status for all ports. Ill know more about the effects of humidity in a few months once its deployed at a roof top location.

I have no previous experience with the external DC power supply either and suspect that it is the weaker component given the same environmental conditions.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 28, 2018

Can't go wrong with the Ubiquiti Toughswitches - https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch-xp/

I've got these in Alaska to Arizona and they keep on trucking.  Simple interface and very reliable. 

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Nov 28, 2018

Transition Networks works very well. We have one customer already who has moved from Cisco to Transition for the security infrastructure.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Nov 28, 2018

We utilize Cisco 3560c-8pc-s - switch series inside enclosures for outdoor stuff from upstate New York to Florida and they work well.  Although not the cheapest option around.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Nov 28, 2018

Try Comnet for a great variety of hardened devices, including hardened cellular routers. Also, made in USA.

(2)
SD
Shannon Davis
Nov 28, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We just sold one of these to be installed on a pole but would work for this as well. Even has battery backup.

Altronix Outdoor Switch

(3)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #6
Dec 05, 2018

Just pay attention to the temperature de-ratings on these. I tend to find myself turning to these for locations with multi-imagers and PTZs.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Dec 06, 2018

I wasn't interested in these until I found out you can order the power supply and switch by itself.   I didn't want to have to pull the whole box down if the power supply or switch failed.  I also like the lifetime warranty and if you include time to build your own box these are more cost-effective. 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 06, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Do they do 24V POE and have a ping/reboot feature like the "ping Watchdog"?

MM
Michael Miller
Dec 06, 2018

I don't know we never have to use watchdog reboot feature.   If I have to reboot a security device every day or week for it to work I am not going to sell it to a customer. 

UM
Dec 07, 2018

It may not be every week, but it a camera only has to hang once without someone noticing until it's too late and the incident has gone by to be a problem.

(2)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 07, 2018
IPVMU Certified

When you install equipment in areas like trash compactors, etc where you may experience voltage drops even on a different circuit, it comes in handy.

At a gate, our only option is tie into the circuit with the gate operator. Everytime that gate opens/closes, there may be a voltage drop. Eventually network equipment is going to hiccup.

My former company had 2-3 truck rolls per week to power cycle equipment. In 2 years, not sure we have had more than 5 total on systems we installed.

I just wish they would finally implement the ping feature on their bigger switches.

(1)
(1)
Richard Lavin
Nov 28, 2018
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

Agree with others on ComNet.

I'd also recommend looking into Antaira.

(1)
(1)
(1)
Richard Lavin
Dec 05, 2018

to whomever disagreed - what do you disagree with and why?  It would be helpful if you could please elaborate.  Simply voting "Disagree" without any further elaboration really does not provide any useful information to the OP, myself or other readers.

(1)
(1)
UM
Dec 05, 2018

Disagree on the Antaira. Had some issues getting them warrantied in the past. Also with sourcing.

(1)
Richard Lavin
Dec 05, 2018

Thanks for the clarification, it's very helpful.

For myself, being a consultant, I'm fairly sheltered from a lot of issues that integrators have when dealing with a company such as product availability/delivery, tech support, warranty support, etc.  It's always good to hear from the guys (and gals) on the front lines regarding what problems they encounter when dealing with a company.

(2)
GH
Greg Huff
Dec 05, 2018

i was wondering if the "disagree" was about ComNet (which someone else also mentioned and received an "agree", making it potentially three recommendations) or about Antaira.

Had the same question when someone disagreed with the Ubiquity recommendation.....why did they disagree?

One follow-up question....

I assume that I would need to use an enclosure with products such as Ubiquity, Transition, Comnet, and Antaira as they do not have an IP rating. But, I also assume that an enclosure would not be necessary in my situation for the products that have an IP rating such as the Planet and Altronix product mentioned below.

Is that correct?

When an enclosure is required, do people typically choose: on that is completely sealed (air/water tight), one with openings for passive cooling (convective heat exchange), or ones with active fans?

Richard Lavin
Dec 05, 2018

My "go-to" is the Comnet products.  I typically specify them to be in a NEMA 4 or 4X enclosure if they are directly exposed to the elements or NEMA 1 enclosure if they are protected from rain, blowing dust/dirt, etc. but in a space that is not temperature controlled.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Dec 05, 2018

A little off topic maybe but, whatever happened to EtherWan? They had a huge selection of hardened switches when I represented them 10 years ago. Haven't seen them at integrators at all.

UM
Dec 05, 2018

Hard to sell something they never seem to have in stock and takes 6 to 8 weeks to get in when you want it.

LB
Lee Brown
Dec 06, 2018

I have had the Planet installed on the roof top for 7 days now, currently powering a single POE plus camera (21Watts). Every thing works well but I suspect it will not operate in the summer months in AZ. The units MFG specified upper temperature limit is 167F.

Installing the switch and PS in a sealed NMEA4 enclosure resulted in 159F when the outside air temperature was only 65F. Shading and ventilating the enclosure with a 120mm 40CFM fan resulted in dropping the reported switch temperature down to 140F.

Oddly, there does not seem to be any user defined temperature alerting, or temperature logging thresholds available. I doubt that the reported temperature is inaccurate given the near blistering effect of touching the device without gloves. I really wanted to like this switch. Maybe the thing will operate flawlessly at 250F in July.

Ill probably try a Comnet product next for comparison.

(2)
GH
Greg Huff
Dec 06, 2018

this is what i was worried about when i asked my enclosure question previously.

Without an enclosure, you are mostly only dealing with the ambient air temp as the heat generated by the switch and power supply can dissipate.

But, with and enclosure, the heat from the switch/supply is trapped within the enclosure, driving the temps up significantly over the ambient air temp.

I am surprised the active fan did not make a large difference.

(1)
LB
Lee Brown
Dec 06, 2018

It seems that open air and shade is likely the best plan for the switch along with a ventilated / protected enclosure for the power supply.

I had hoped to install additional units underground to serve multiple parking lot poles but thought I would test in an area where I had better installation options first. I really cant see this product working out in underground pedestal configurations.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 06, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We have installed 5-10 of the Ubiquiti Tough switches every month in environmental enclosures (vented/no fan) on the side of apartment buildings in Georgia for 2 years, and we also have several sites we took over that have them for longer.

Maybe 1 failure that did not appear to be a surge issue.

Ron Ayotte
Dec 07, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Not sure if you still need it, but we also use Ubiquity on occasion, but for more critical or higher temp variance check these out.

http://www.inscapedata.com/

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions