Subscriber Discussion

Owners/Sales People, What Are You Driving?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We have a couple vans and I drive an HHR panel. All vehicles are lettered. I now need another car for a new service tech. I am considering giving the HHR to my lead tech who will be more of a sales engineer or right-hand technical guy. I really do not see him in the field doing much service work, but the HHR does have a basic ladder rack if necessary. Plus its a panel and has no back seat, all storage.

So what do I buy? Should I keep the lettered HHR for myself and buy another van for the new tech?

Or do I buy myself a normal car and not worry about lettering? I feel like the lettering brings some professionalism when doing site surveys versus some guy jumping out of a Maxima.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Nov 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We have some posts/discussions that might help with context:

In terms of personal vehicles, do you/ would you consider a pickup truck?

In our survey several mentioned that a truck is a nice 'dual purpose' light field service and sales vehicle.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 14, 2018

The pickup is a nice combination vehicle. You can wrap/letter it to look professional when it's parked on a job site.  Works for sales and you can toss a ladder and some tools in for a quick service call. 

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I feel like the lettering brings some professionalism when doing site surveys versus some guy jumping out of a Maxima.

depends on the Maxima

(6)
U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 15, 2018

(2)
Ari Erenthal
Nov 15, 2018
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Wow, a convertible SUV! And look at all that cargo space!

(1)
Brian Karas
Nov 15, 2018
Pelican Zero

If you want a convertible SUV, just buy one, bonus points for donking it:

Image result for convertible murano

(4)
Clint Hays
Nov 14, 2018

The best service vehicle I ever used was a GMC2500 deisel crew cab with a full utility storage bed. The bed had been changed out to provide storage, had a rolling bed cover, and a full length ladder rack with a conduit box.

This thing was a beast but it held every part neatly, had room for four guys, or protection for equipment, and could carry/tow anything. I also lived in rough winter conditions in the mountains so it needed to be capable of handling that.

(1)
(1)
Brian Karas
Nov 14, 2018
Pelican Zero

I'd suggest you give the HHR to your tech guy and get a nice, but not TOO nice, sedan for yourself. Something that when you show up says you are a professional and your business is stable, but not rolling in cash (eg: a nice mid-tier BMW, not an S-Class Mercedes).

For me, I don't expect business owners to drive lettered vehicles as their daily driver. If you want to split the difference, get a nice mid-tier SUV and put some simple lettering on the side back glass windows. Just enough to say it's a business vehicle, without looking like a service truck.

Are your clients really watching you pull up to the job site so often that you think they notice or read the lettering on your vehicle?

(1)
(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Nov 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Our sales team drives Toyota Camry's or Toyota Highlander. Our service tech's mostly drive Toyota Highlanders and install drive Pickup trucks. I mostly agree with our vehicle choices except for the installation side. IMO using a truck with with a topper is about as efficient as using a station wagon. First issue is the windows on the topper can't be locked automatically and secondly it is has to store equipment. The new minivans are really good these days with the 3 different sizes they are typically offered. Also the gas mileage is much better also.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 15, 2018

I had a Suburban for 13 years.  After driving a van around for 3 years, I swore I never would again.  Never regretted that decision.  It's worth the extra $3-400 for the first 60 months.

(2)
Daniel S-T
Nov 15, 2018

Isn't that pretty killer on gas compared to a van though ?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 15, 2018

Suburban 18 mpg (2002 5.7L)

Van full size 18-20 mpg (V8)

mini van 20-24 mpg

If you drive distances greater than 10 miles per trip, RAM ecodiesel gets 24-26 mpg, and so does their 6 banger.

MS
Midwest Surveillance
Nov 15, 2018

Illl second this. A clean Tahoe or new Ford Explorer will give you a respectable appearance along with a good amount of room in the back when needed. And it doesnt hurt to roll up to a job site in an American vehicle either. 

(3)
Armando Perez
Nov 15, 2018
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Split the difference. For me that turned out to be a supercharged 650 horsepower tundra with the logo on the back window. Cause that's reasonable to me. ;) After the divorce I ended up with a lincoln mkt. Professional enough for the owner to be driving, big enough for all the kids and twin turbo v6 helps keep me sane.

I was in your position a few years ago. I gave the wrapped mazda5 I was driving to my right hand man, and I bought myself the truck. Everything except my car is fully wrapped.

(1)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Nov 15, 2018
Chesapeake & Midlantic

If you're small enough that you regularly visit active jobsites personally every day, you should probably drive something with lettering. 

If you're large enough that you don't visit active jobsites daily, you should probably get something more discrete. As Karas says, get something nice but not too nice. 

(2)
DR
Dan Rice
Nov 15, 2018

If he will be doing sales related items he should have something nice enough and with enough seats to take customers out to lunch if need be.

(1)
Campbell Chang
Nov 15, 2018

Holden Commodore SS Wagon.

Armando Perez
Nov 16, 2018

This. 100% this. With the 6 speed.  Now help me find one in the states.

(3)
MB
Matt Bartenhagen
Jan 02, 2019

And again i find myself lamenting the death of the wagon in the US.. A long shooting brake with a roof rack and decent room inside for whatever you need. I actually looked at buying some classic ambulances for a while but it was either crazy money for a "done" one, or a resto project i didn't have time for.

Definitely letter anything that's company-owned. Subtle if you'd rather, but make sure there's a sticker on there somewhere just case there's ever a question why your car is on site.

Armando Perez
Jan 02, 2019

Here ya go. Even the right color for my company.

Image result for shooting brake

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions