Genetec Privacy Protector Tested

Rob Kilpatrick
Nov 06, 2018
IPVM • IPVMU Certified
Intro Summary Pricing Setup Options Performance CPU Usage Versions...

Read the full report here
JH
John Honovich
Nov 12, 2018
IPVM

Genetec Privacy Protector sells for ~$200 USD per channel estimated street price

Not to steal Sean Nelson's comment... but $200 per channel, what in the world? That's a lot of money for a feature.

(5)
(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 12, 2018

That is nothing if they do it the way they do other Kiwi features like Intrusion Detector.  If so there is an additional cost per year for SMA renewal.  So for SMA renewal it would add an additional fee to the charge you already pay per camera just to have the features.  For instance SMA for year on an enterprise camera is $50 then the intrusion detector SMA fee of $90 a year.  All on top of the one time $450 license per device using Kiwi.  

The numbers are from February so may have changed but the practice of charges remains the same.

(1)
(7)
LV
Laurent Villeneuve
Nov 13, 2018
Genetec • IPVMU Certified

Hi UD1,

I’m the product marketing manager for analytics at Genetec. I want to address your comment because we recently made changes to our Genetec Advantage policies with regards to Privacy Protector. We have eliminated the additional cost related to Privacy Protector, and it is now covered by the standard camera Advantage cost.

Regarding performance, it’s important to note that Privacy Protector uses hardware-acceleration with NVIDIA graphics cards, as UD2 mentioned in a separate comment. I’m not sure if Rob’s setup for the review included a GPU, but it is possible to achieve a higher level of performance with the right appliance design. Our new 1U Streamvault analytics appliance can anonymize 50 streams in VGA resolution for example.

(5)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 13, 2018

So the change made was just for privacy detector and not the intrusion detector as I mentioned?  At least one option is affordable.  

Guilherme Barandas
Nov 16, 2018

Precisely for this reason, it is necessary to do the AMS for over 3 years so that the price falls considerably.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Nov 12, 2018

Is it? Wouldn't that be a question of how much it cost them to develop and the risk for getting ROI. I imagine there's some liability associated, too, like if it didn't work right and someone's privacy "invaded".

JH
John Honovich
Nov 12, 2018
IPVM

There's a lot that goes into pricing and I don't know Genetec's reasoning so I won't speculate.

But competitively, the pro case for this pricing is that (1) few have this feature, (2) it is tightly integrated into the system and (3) GDPR.

The most immediate negative is that this one feature costs about what even a Genetec VMS license costs. That's going to be hard for people to justify unless they have some legal or regulatory requirement.

However, we are talking about Genetec. They still charge for extra VMS client licenses so...

U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

but $200 per channel.

Genetec Pricey Protector

(6)
Sean Nelson
Nov 12, 2018
Nelly's Security

Gotta find a way to pay for all those lobbyists

(1)
(4)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 12, 2018
IPVM

You'll be happy to hear that Hikvision is #1 in US lobbyists. 

Check records here and here.

Hikvision plenty of results, already over $500,000 for the last 5 months, could hit a million for the year:

Genetec has none.

You must be relieved though that the Chinese government is increasing its ownership in your partner, right?

(3)
(1)
Sean Nelson
Nov 13, 2018
Nelly's Security

Hikvision plenty of results, already over $500,000 for the last 5 months, could hit a million for the year:

Genetec was able to keep this off the books by bartering with their lobbyists instead of paying them actual money. In exchange for lobbying efforts, they gave them all 4 camera systems, totalling $500,000 each.

(1)
(4)
(5)
U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Genetec Peace of Mind Bundle

Privacy Protector + Hikvision Waiver only $400/ch while supplies last

(4)
Sergey Bystrov
Nov 12, 2018
NetworkOptix

In our tests, Privacy Protector increased CPU usage by 4-5% usage per camera

Wich camera? (fps@image size?)

...Accordingly, CPU load increase will vary according to resolution, framerate, and compression settings.

I'd would like to know how? I guess it's linear based on FPS and resolution.

So if 4-5% for 1080@10fps, does it mean ~12% for 30 fps? Does it mean ~15% for 4k at 10 fps?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 12, 2018

I believe Genetec supports server side Nvidia GPU decoding/encoding for the Privacy Protector which would significantly lower the CPU usage. 

(1)
Igor Falomkin
Nov 13, 2018
AxxonSoft

Rob, thank you for the test. Does the feature work for motionless persons? 

Rob Kilpatrick
Nov 13, 2018
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Igor, yes it does still mask people that are motionless in the scene. In the example below the person with the blue shirt held that position for ~3-4 minutes and was still pixelated the whole time.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

So is the blurred video what you see live or recorded, or any combination of the two?

Rob Kilpatrick
Nov 13, 2018
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

The blurred video is what you would see live and recorded by default, you can remove the mask (switch to the unmasked stream) in either by just right clicking and choosing to remove privacy protection.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Nov 13, 2018

Does it blur all people in the FOV or can you select which people are blurred and who is not blurred?

Rob Kilpatrick
Nov 13, 2018
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

It blurs everybody, you can only designate areas that won't be blurred.

Rob Kilpatrick
Nov 13, 2018
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Update:

Added a section to "Privacy Protector Basics" showing how to remove the mask from the live and recorded video.

U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Nice.

So the blurry-ness is a dynamic mask?

Meaning the blurry-ness can be removed at any time?

Does exporting the video follow the settings at the time of the export?

Rob Kilpatrick
Nov 14, 2018
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

So the blurry-ness is a dynamic mask?

Meaning the blurry-ness can be removed at any time?

Does exporting the video follow the settings at the time of the export?

Yes, the blurry-ness can be removed at any time in live or recorded video (when you are removing the blurry-ness you are just switching to the stream without blur) and yes, the recorded video follows the settings at the time of the export.

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 14, 2018

So if your recording both streams you need double the storage too?

U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

So if your recording both streams you need double the storage too?

From what Rob said, there is NOT both a blurry stream and a un-blurry stream recorded.

Rob Kilpatrick
Nov 14, 2018
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my initial explanation.

Privacy Protector does use two different streams, one stream for the blurred video and the other stream for the normal non-blurred video. When you choose to remove the blur from the video, you are just switching from the blurred stream to the non-blurred stream.

So, yes, because it records two different streams it requires more storage.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my initial explanation.

I don’t think you could have been clearer and I don’t think I could have been denser.

My apologies to Michael.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Nov 15, 2018

What if I want to mask all faces except one?

U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 16, 2018
IPVMU Certified

What if I want to mask all faces except one?

Make sure the scene has only one face and set mask to off ;)

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Nov 16, 2018

Genetec has other obfuscation tools too, such as the built-in snapshot editor in Security Desk and the video masking tools in Clearance.

Sean Patton
Mar 19, 2019

The pricing section has been updated to reflect Privacy Protector included for all 5.7/5.8 systems.

No Per Camera Licensing Cost

Genetec Privacy Protector is now is included for free with no additional license needed. Previously, it had an additional $200 MSRP license per channel.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions