Subscriber Discussion

Need UPS Suggestions To Keep System Running For 8 Hours.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 19, 2018

I am installing a small camera system (24 port switch, NVR, 6 cameras) and am wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a UPS manufacturer. I will get the vendor to figure out the size of UPS based on the power the system will draw and am looking to be able to keep it running for 8 hours.   

Brian Rhodes
Sep 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Here are some common ones used for video systems:

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 20, 2018

Thank you.

AS
Ashley Schofield
Sep 20, 2018

Eaton 5SX 1250 UPS with 3 EBMs
Runtime: 652 minutes
Eaton Part Number(s):
5SX1250AU ($800AUD) + 5SXEBM48R2U ($670AUDx3) (3)

Total Price is around $2810 in AUS and that is based on a draw of 100watts at 240v

The issues you will come across are budget, charge time and also battery wear.
Might be worth looking into a small petrol or diesel generator

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 20, 2018

Okay thank great thank you.

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 20, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

For that long of runtime, you are better off with a small to moderate UPS in conjunction with a small generator. 

Let me ask this, how often is this system expected to be utilized? Daily? Only during unplanned outages? That will make a big difference. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 20, 2018

It is at a remote site and will only be used during unplanned outages. It will be as much to monitor equipment as it will be for security. We may have to go with a shorter run time.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Sep 20, 2018

Good suggestions already in the thread.  For the most part battery backups should be used for very select cases, to keep things going during short power outages and give you ample time to properly shut devices down or to keep things going while power is switched over to a generator backup.  I don't think battery backups were ever intended to provide extended amounts of time powering devices. I remember back with the APC modular units, you could have a main controller and about 6 great big, heavy battery add-on units but could still only get a few hours of power for most server based systems.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 20, 2018

Seems like a shorter run time is what I should be looking at. Thank you everyone

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions