Thursday September 12, 2013 Daily Update

Brian Rhodes
Sep 12, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My kid plays his first soccer game tonight, so I'm stepping out to watch that in a few minutes, and I didn't see one of these started yet.

Updated Keypad Readers piece with final edits.

Started "Powering Cameras over Long Distances' post that offers other/better suggestions that PoE Extenders, based on Voltage Drop calculations.

Talked to SpotterRF about their new embargoed ASIS release called: SHIELD. Essentially it is a turnkey video camera integrated radar system. Covers 150 acres. The PR guy was clueless on specifics, like 'How many/what type of cameras come with the kit?', so he is setting up a call tomorrow with Logan, the CEO, and is sending an embargoed release.

More FYI than post worthy, but UL has released regulations covering mass notification systems.

I need to update the access fundamentals class on codes and laws.

I'll be offline for a few hours, but will be back tonight.

Ethan Ace
Sep 12, 2013

Today:

• Was out for a bit dealing with car and family stuff, but got things done after.
  • Figen has mounting height nearly ready to go. Just finishing relabeling one image that was too small.
  • Bosch microdome test continued, with the indoor office shots. One notable thing: WDR on these seems to be pretty good. Almost at the level fo the 733 (none of them are listed as WDR). We're going to set them up by the front door and see how they do, and if they exceed expectations, take them to the garage. The 1080p is definitely much lower PPF than 720p due to the wide, wide FOV. 5MP has moderate benefit in general, and its low light performance is on par with the 1080p, more or less. Oh, and since these are actually IP66 rated, which I didn't remember, we're going to take them outside tomorrow, too, and shoot the parking lot.
  • Brickcom camera came in. Derek addressed it and it's on my desk, but haven't looked at it much. That'll be next week or so when we get to it.
  • CSI asked me for a couple of points of advice, and I talked with Jeremy about network stuff for us.

I'm running out to an appointment right now but I'll be back, too.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 12, 2013
IPVM

if we are going to test bosch mindome WDR let's get the M30s side by side

JG
John Grocke
Sep 12, 2013

Wrote most of an article on project submittals for video surveillance and access control.

Answered some questions in the discussion section.

FB
Figen Bekisli
Sep 13, 2013

Continued working on the mounting height article. Went over it with Ethan. I'll just change the first animation to have larger labels.

Bosch minidomes, office test with team.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 13, 2013
IPVM

Derek, Carlton, Sarit, please update.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Sep 13, 2013
Rearragned the panoramic lawsuit post. Still waiting for comment from Oncam and Sentry360.

Read up on this and working on setting up a time to talk with Christopher Amato for the MIT analytics post.

I've talked to 5/11 of the security recruiters. I'll try and get in touch with the other ones again in the morning.

Left a message for Steve Pineau. Wrapping up that ASIS post now.

Nadim Call is tomorrow at 11

Derek Ward
Sep 13, 2013
Hanwha
  • Bosch microdome testing, as Ethan mentioned earlier. Added axis M30 comparison images to the report, and I will add tomorrow's images as well. I also took a look at compression levels, and nothing seems out of the ordinary.
  • Setup cameras in a corner in CSI, similar to the M30 report layout. Figen and I set up FOV's, and I was test subject.
  • Brickcom camera IP'd. Really simple process, just downloaded the config tool off the CD, IP'd the camera, added it to our IPVM IP list, and took a quick tour of the web client. Possibly my favorite web client yet (no joke). Now, if only I didn't have to download software to update Brickcom firmware. Also, the camera added to Exac via Onvif with no difficulties.

Outside/WDR Bosch testing and images tomorrow, as well as any other miscellaneous items.

Oh, and I left around 5:30 today to go to a car dealership and seal the deal on a new (used) car!

JH
John Honovich
Sep 13, 2013
IPVM

Hope you enjoy your '78 Mustang...

Have you figured out what's wrong with the Bosch 1080p? it's almost certainly a bad camera or a configuration issue to look that bad, when you see a showstopper like that, the test needs to be stopped until (1) you are 100% positive the product sucks or (2) you have solved the problem

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions