Subscriber Discussion

Best Baluns For Power Splices?

MD
Matthew Del Salto
Aug 31, 2018
Hudson Security

Hello all,

We have a client who is swapping out all of their cameras with some nice HD analogs. Problem being the power wire is missing the connector balun (I think that may be the right term for the red or black AV type cable that plugs in for power) the wires on the camera are too thin of a gauge to splice them together. Are there any premade power baluns with a thicker gauge black and red wires that they can use to splice onto the existing cable?

Thanks

Brian Rhodes
Aug 31, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Do you have a model number on the baluns you're currently using?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 31, 2018

A balun is a device that converts a BALanced signal to an UNbalanced one (or, vice-versa). They don't really apply to power distribution, so I don't think you are looking for a "balun" in this case. It kind of sounds like you might be look for a DC barrel jack, or similar. Can you post some pics of the cables and what you're trying to connect to?

(1)
MD
Matthew Del Salto
Aug 31, 2018
Hudson Security

DC barrel jack is exactly what I am looking for with decent gauge wire. Thank you!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 31, 2018

We call them pigtails and buy the wbox brand. Never had any issues with them and they are cheap so we have not looked elsewhere. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions