Subscriber Discussion

Hiring Security Persons With Warrant

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 23, 2018

i saw an interesting news article yesterday and was a bit shocked to see a premiere security contractor hiring persons whom moments before had a warrant for their arrest.

Warrant withdrawal Wednesday

I know filling security positions is getting harder and harder in an industry with low margins, but what standard are you willing to accept for your security staff?  Why do you believe we have gotten to this point?

Ethan Ace
Aug 23, 2018

It's not that hard to end up with a warrant for your arrest, to be quite honest.

Once, someone else got a parking ticket in my car and did not tell me. I didn't know anything about it until I came home to a warrant taped to my door. I hadn't gotten a single notice about it because they all were delivered to the wrong house and returned to sender. 

Warrants are issued fairly quickly for unpaid summonses in some counties here, and fines multiply by a literal order of magnitude in 10 days in some municipalities. So for lower income folks trying to get by, it can be really easy to end up with a warrant.

Or for people who let others borrow their cars. 

(1)
(4)
(4)
SD
Shannon Davis
Aug 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Was your friends name "Little Johnny"?  :)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 24, 2018

There are warrants and there are warrants.  Helping someone get a warrant released for jay walking tickets (now legal in California), parking fines and such.  No issue as far as I'm concerned.  Warrants for assault, theft (more than $900.00 in California) or sale of drugs is another issue.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

...saw an interesting news article yesterday and was a bit shocked to see a premiere security contractor hiring persons whom moments before had a warrant for their arrest.

That company has hired worse...

Mark Jones
Aug 24, 2018

I don't think "we" have gotten to this point.  Clearly GS4 has though.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Aug 24, 2018

It's a warrant for parking tickets, not for a violent crime or a crime of moral turpitude. It has no bearing on whether or not this person would be a good and capable security officer.

I advise you to chill. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

It’s a warrant for parking tickets...

It’s a tough state that throws you in the pokey for parking tickets...

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 24, 2018

The last time I checked, you don’t go to jail for parking tickets.  You go to jail for failure to appear or pay those tickets and a warrant for arrest is issued.  That’s usually a long time and errors like Ethan’s happen.

Thats why it’s so important to provide proof of sale on a vehicle to the DMV.

A warrant is a warrant though and while the officer has better things to do (insert donut joke here), they should execute the warrant.  

That can result in the vehicle you are driving being towed and impounded, only making the costs that much higher. 

If you happen to be uninsured, behind on registration or an expired drivers license the car can sit in impound until all is caught up or they auction it.

All from a simple parking ticket or twenty. 

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The last time I checked, you don’t go to jail for parking tickets...

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

You go to jail for failure to appear...

Yes, in the case of the woman in the video who aspired to “Security, and possibly upgrade and become a police officer", had at least one warrant for bail-jumping, a misdemeanor class a, not a traffic infraction.

This was in response to ud4’s downplaying of the offense as merely a “parking ticket” and suggesting there was no moral failure here.

Mark Jones
Aug 24, 2018

Or?

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions