Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision Addressing Cybersecurity Myths And Facts

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 13, 2018

Just received the following email from Hikvision. What are your thoughts? I'm curious to hear the "myths".

"Hikvision invites you to join us for Cybersecurity Myths and Facts on Thursday, September 13 In Atlanta for a morning of learning and discussion that will include:

Presentation by Hikvision Director of Cybersecurity Chuck Davis on cybersecurity threats, hacks and vulnerabilities; walk away with some best practices to mitigate those threats and vulnerabilities.

5 Reasons to Attend Hikvision’s Cybersecurity Myths and Facts:

• Receive AIA and BICSI continuing education credits when you attend.
  • What is Hikvision doing to protect its customers against cybersecurity threats?
  • Hikvision addresses its cybersecurity record. Learn the facts.
  • Learn about the vulnerabilities Hikvision has faced and how it responded.
  • What is the future of cybersecurity at Hikvision?

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 770-xxx-xxxx"

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 14, 2018

It is mainly whitewashing...  I do applaud them for coming out and talking about cyber.  I attended one of these sessions at an industry event a few months ago.

It was mainly about cyber security in general - who the actors are, the difference between them, differences between hacking and vulnerabilities, etc.  Examples of why cyber is needed for IoT devices and examples of hacks, including historical info/context.

Also you get to hear the spin of how Hik responded in x many days, which of course was the domestic China market firmware, not the global or OEM firmware, which at the time was a "who knows if/when it will be released".

You also hear how they have so many engineers and would never knowingly introduce a backdoor and have the firmware transparency center....

It was a fun hour and some neat industry info, but all rosy and really attempts to misdirect you.  They get to check the box on doing X many cyber events to show they are doing well...

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 14, 2018
IPVM

It is a continuation of a series they started last year, e.g., Hikvision Canada Cybersecurity Road Show 2017 / USA 2018 and Feedback From The Hikvision Cybersecurity Road Show Kickoff.

With the ban becoming law, that Atlanta event in less than a month is going to be awkward, to say the least.

(1)
Anton Miller
Aug 14, 2018
Shaked Projects

>walk away with some best practices to mitigate those threats and vulnerabilities

Walk away with Mobotix representatives...

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions