Subscriber Discussion

Why The Huawei Ban May Be Far Worse Than The Hikua Ban...

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 10, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Note the ban on equipment produced by Huawei or any subsidiary

Next, note that Hisilicon, the prolific maker of SOCs System on a chip), is a subsidiary to Huawei.

This would imply that any camera using a Hisilicon SOC would be covered by the ban.  This would cover cameras by more than just Hikua.

The fact that the SOC is just a component of the final product and therefore should not disqualify the finished good does not make sense, in light of the intention of the bill.  

Consider that any Hikua equipment without a SOC is perfectly fine.  Lenses, imagers, power supplies, mounts etc are perfectly fine.  It’s the SOC they are after...

As stated here:

Surely Hikua is a major customer of Hisilicon, but who else might be impacted?

Thoughts?

(2)
KZ
Kevin Zhou
Aug 10, 2018

what is Hikua ? hik and dahua combination ? 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 10, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Yes.

(6)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2018
IPVM

Thanks for raising this. It is an interesting point. Undoubtedly Hisilicon is a subsidiary of Huawei plus Hisilicon is very broadly used in low-cost cameras. I have asked Charles to check on whether these are covered by the bill.

(1)
BP
Bas Poiesz
Aug 10, 2018

A list of companies using Hisilicon parts would be very interesting.
Much like the OEM lists.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2018
IPVM

That could vary significantly by model, as for example, Hikvision uses Ambarella in many cameras (e.g., the PanoVu Mini we just tested) but surely uses Hisilicon in other cameras.

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 10, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I asked Charles to check on whether these are covered by the bill.

I very much doubt that the authors of the bill had in mind to ban Hisilicon SOCs; they could have easily added them by name, had they been aware.

Nevertheless, there is a strong argument to say that the ban, as written, should apply to products incorporating Hisilicon SOC.

Especially if they actually try to enforce the OEM restriction.

It will be interesting to see if Hik raises this issue: on the one hand it could hurt their competitors who use HS, on the other hand it seems unlikely they would want to hurt HS.

Sean Nelson
Aug 10, 2018
Nelly's Security

Interesting indeed. This would wipe out alot of equipment.

On the other hand, would be very difficult to regulate.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 10, 2018

I want a Hauwei!

Luca Fogliati
Aug 13, 2018

Exacq M series mounts an Hisilicon 3535 as for the specs they give

JR
John Rose
Aug 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Is this house bill 5515? Or is this from some other bill?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 13, 2018
IPVM

Yes, this is referring to 5515, which has now passed the Senate too, covering Huawei, ZTE, Dahua, Hikvision and Hytera.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions