Subscriber Discussion

Anyone Here Using ZFS As Their Storage Manager?

TH
Truman HW
Aug 03, 2018

When I have time in the next week or two, I'm going to be configuring my replacement NAS at my store, which instead of using an appliance (synology there, QNAP at home) I'm going to be switching out to ZFS systems with 40GbE via QSFP+ if I need high performance access to the pool. 

So far, it seems like ZFS is perfect for everything -- so I'm assuming this'll just be another job it nonchalantly covers.

Am I mistaken? 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 03, 2018

FreeNas is king, my opinion. If you search youtube for Lawrence Systems they have done quite a few FreeNas builds and are entertaining to watch. I also use Synology, cannot seem to get away from them with certain customers.

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Aug 03, 2018

Yes, we have a couple of systems using ZFS and FreeNas.  We use it at our office for a large storage pool for a VMS testing. 

(2)
LB
Lee Brown
May 15, 2019

I am also considering switching from XFS backed software RAID10 to ZFS and was wondering how you have gotten along with your ZFS storage for video?

Is there anything you can share about your zpool / vdev configuration or things to watch out for? I have heard that for video recording, dataset quotas should not exceed 80% of the vdev space. This seems expensive for any mirrored zpool configuration other than RAIDz2.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions