Subscriber Discussion

Experience With Card Readers For High RF Environments?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 01, 2018

Does anyone have any experience with card readers in high radio-frequency environments such as television / radio transmission stations?

I have a good idea that shielding may be necessary for the cabling as well as card reader, but figured asking IPVM wouldn't hurt.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 01, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I've seen regular mini-mullion, short range 13.56 MHz readers used with no problems in a microwave transmitter facility.

The wavelengths are different enough (low frequency vs high frequency) that I'm not sure problems should be anticipated.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 01, 2018

I had to use fiber optic  to carry card reader signals thru a noisy environment(Hydro Electric Dam) and shield the box where the unit is at in the field. Optional to use hybrid fiber for powering the field units.

Optical Wiegand, MagStripe & F/2F Data Extender

(1)
Scott Lindley
Aug 07, 2018
Farpointe Data, Inc.

Like Brian, I've seen 13.56-MHz contactless smartcard readers, as well as 125-kHz proximity readers, installed successfully in high RF environments, such as television and radio transmission stations.

Two points to consider for every install:

First, use cabling between the card reader and electronic access control panel with an overall metal foil shield.

Second, using the cable’s drain wire, connect the cable's metal foil shield to earth ground.

The drain wire carries noise currents, commonly induced onto the cable's metal foil shield by electromagnetic interference or EMI, to earth ground. Earth grounding is essential in preserving the signals carried by the individual conductors protected inside the cable’s metal foil shield, allowing the electronic access system, including the card readers, to function as intended.

Here's a link to a short, informative article on grounding that might be found useful: https://www.securitysales.com/integration/making-sure-your-installations-are-firmly-grounded/.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions