Subscriber Discussion

Manufacturer Provides VAR With Pricing Then Bids Direct

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 27, 2018

How many have had a manufacturer provide you with pricing on a project you are working on, only to find out they submitted a bid directly? 

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 27, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Never happened to us but we aren't doing projects where that would happen.

Did they bid before or after the integrator requested pricing? Either way, there should be some type of notice.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 27, 2018

No public bid, all due at the same time with public opening.

They offered me the opportunity to resell their product, provided me pricing, I even specifically asked if this was something that they would go after themselves, they said no, offered to partner directly as the local integrator and they said no, they sent me a quote and then turned around and sent a direct bid in.  

Never has that happened to me before, I guess that is what I get for matching a bid spec.

I am always so protective of providing the names of projects to vendors and manufacturers, but this time I let my guard down and got bit.

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 27, 2018

Can you share the vender?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 27, 2018

Somebody wasn’t telling the truth and it could be or might not be the person you were working with.  Some sales guys lie (did I say that?) and some have a co-worker or boss that end runs them.

They could be really scummy and just wanted to make sure there were enough bids out there to validate the request. 

OR, it could have been two groups in the same large company working in parallel, but not together. I have experienced that from the manufacturer side and it was awkward. 

SD
Shannon Davis
Jul 27, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I haven't had a manufacturer do this but i definitely have had a distributor do this more than once. Hence, we don't use that distributor anymore.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 27, 2018

It happens.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions