Subscriber Discussion

Decode IP Cameras To BNC For Matrix Integration?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 25, 2018

Few years ago, there were many decoder products that could do this. Most of what is available now in decoders is limited to HDMI or DVI output and only single HDMI. We are looking to decoder 32 Onvif compliant cameras, needs to be BNC and seperate outputs so we can integrate them with an existing matrix that the client is looking to keep. No way around that. Any suggestions and will the below setup work? 

Hikvision DS-6400HDI-T + TV One ZDC2050 DVI Male to BNC Female Composite Video Adapter for C2-6000/C2-8000 Series

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 26, 2018

bump.. no feedback?

DE
Dennis Eversole
Jul 26, 2018

There are decoders that have BNC/Composite out, but to accomplish your goal, you would need one per channel.  You are looking at around $200 per channel MINIMUM with the products I am aware of.  There might be something less expensive that I haven't run across.  

(1)
Mike Rose
Jul 26, 2018

Sure they do not have analog out of the cameras? Most of the more main stream devices accommodate a local analog output. Only issue have to have multiple cables to eac unit  

(1)
(1)
Anton Miller
Jul 27, 2018
Shaked Projects

While it is possible theoretically, it is not a simple process - an analog signal must be created from digital frames, and I fail to see why would anyone ever want to convert digital HD video to analog. 

Besides, HD matrix is even a thing? I thought matrixes pretty much died out when $300 computers became powerful enough to display 16 streaming channels

IMO, even if you find a solution it would be more expensive than a new video wall.

Jeffrey Hinckley
Jul 28, 2018

We are faced with this dilemma in jails.  They typically have door control systems which integrate with a matrix switch (requests come in, on the PLC display they click a door and the camera pops up on the display monitor).  We found that HD analog cameras would not work through the BW ability of the matrix and decoding was slow.  It was better to either display all camera on a large screen (IP based) or encode the cameras, use a serial IP interface to acquire the ASCII commands via RS-232/485, and program events and virtual matrix on an IP based VMS based on these events (for example, door control system sends out "cam05 mon01" via ASCII -VMS monitors via serial IP device and switches pane to cam05 when input recieved).  

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 28, 2018

The axis P7701 would do what you want.

You would need to add an adapter from the rca output to connect to a BNC patch cable.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions