Subscriber Discussion

Q&A Discussion

Chris Peterson
Jul 25, 2018
Vector Firm

Folks:

If you missed the live session, or have a question that suddenly arose after the live session, please post it here.  I'm happy to answer them. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Chris 

(1)
(1)
Robert Cimino
Jul 25, 2018

Hello Chris,

I'm new to sales but I have a law enforcement background. I joined in the live session a short time after it started as you were discussing how selling has changed with the advent of Google, how prospects research purchases and the current importance  of the sales professional being regarded as the "perceived expert" .

The question that came to my mind during the session, was actually posed by another member of the class. It related to how to get started as a new sales professional in this field. If I got it correctly, you indicated that new sales professionals must exhibit confidence, get answers and bring the answers to the prospects/clients.

Looking forward to the upcoming classes.

Regards,

Bob Cimino

(1)
Sean Patton
Jul 25, 2018

Bob,

Would you mind if we posted this in the general discussion forums, as other users having been in a similar position to you may have some good feedback?

Thanks,

Sean

Chris Peterson
Jul 25, 2018
Vector Firm

Thanks Bob.  

The specific question was related to my advice to never say "I'm just a sales person.  Let me bring in the smart guys to answer that."  Like you, the questioner was new and didn't feel like he had the expertise yet to answer all the questions.  

As a new person, there is some flexibility.  However, do  your best to gather the answers for your customer and be the person that delivers the answer.  Here's why...

A common sales practice used to be for the sales person to manage and build relationships with customers, and sales engineers to address the technical questions.  Back then, customers needed a sales person as the point person to deliver information to them.  Today, they don't need sales people to deliver information to them - they have access to all the information they could possibly want online - good or bad - its there.  Today, customers need competence and expertise.  If a sales person says "Let me get the smart guys in here", they'll never hear from that customer again.

Again, there is some buffer you have as a new person, but try to be the one that gathers the information and communicates it back to them.  Obviously, when you get to the deep stuff, you may need to bring someone with you, but that should be with the very complex issues.  

Make sense?

(1)
Robert Cimino
Aug 06, 2018

Chris,

Thanks for the in-depth response to my question. I understand and agree completely. I want to be the person with a good grasp of the issues and solutions so I'm viewed as a valued resource. 

bOB

DS
Diane Silva
Jul 25, 2018

Had a question for Chris.  Here is my question and his reply.

I work for a security integrator.  Many of the accounts that I am trying to reach have existing systems and they are either under a contract or are satisfied with who they are working with.

How do you overcome the scenario of “we’re satisfied with who we are working with”?  I don’t want to come across as a “me too” integrator by saying that we can do everything their current integrator does as this probably won’t get me anywhere with these prospects.

I usually say, “That’s great.  I wouldn’t ask you to change who you are working with.  I only ask that you give us a shot when the time is right and see how we compare to your existing integrator”.

With these scenarios, I think that sending them information might be warranted so that we stay fresh on their mind, while at the same time they get information that would be useful for them.

I’m not sure what type of articles to send them or where to source the articles.

Any thoughts you have on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Chris' reply:

I think you’re approaching them properly.  I once heard the phrase: “Sales People should try to be #2 at all of the prospective accounts ... because #1 will make a mistake.”

We’ll discuss content and sources in session 3.  

I suggest adding your contacts to your database so they get regular email newsletters, connecting with them on Social Media so they can see your posts, and joining one or two strategic groups (also discussed in session 3).  Don’t worry about content right now - we’ll discuss that next Tuesday.  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 26, 2018

Is the video able to be downloaded for viewing offline?  I'd like to watch these on an upcoming plane ride.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions