Subscriber Discussion

What Is Your Distributor Charging You For Freight?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 29, 2018

Recent invoices indicate that one of our distributors is charging us 24.5% of the sales price of the item, whether it is shipped to a local address or across the country.

Seems we're being overcharged so do we cut the distributor out and shift our purchases to their competitor?

David Delepine
Jun 29, 2018
Brivo • IPVMU Certified

Yeah that seems seriously excessive. A lot of distributors will give you free shipping on most orders (some as low as a few hundred bucks). Odds are your current distributor is placing a mark up on all freight to help pad their margins. A reasonable mark up would be understandable if they were running a razor thin margin but this does not sound reasonable (unless we are talking $5 shipping on a $20 item or something like that... or you are ordering batteries/wire/metal cabinets/etc super heavy high freight low margin items)

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 29, 2018
IPVM

#1, have you asked them to explain or clarify that? If so, what did they say? What they say would definitely be helpful in making a decision to cut them.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 29, 2018

Shop around, try someone else. Done.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 29, 2018

Am asking the questions now...

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jun 29, 2018

ADI charges me zero freight.
One supplier tried. I don't give them any business anymore.
I requested a quote for 30 junction boxes. No freight was mentioned. I was told on the quote they were in stock at the distribution center 90 miles away. $6.00 each. I pulled the trigger and they transferred them to the local branch on their feeder truck and charged me 100.00 freight.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Anixter gives us free freight on most orders. I think over $200?

Most of our other vendors charge standard shipping. I am not sure I could stomach paying 25%. So on $4,000 worth of cameras, you would pay $1000 in shipping? That is absurd.

I think passing along shipping costs is fair.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 30, 2018

ADI: Free over $50 order

Anixter: Used to be free on everything but not sure now:

CSC: Free over $100

Scansource: Free over $100

Jenne: none but minimum $100 order

U
Undisclosed #5
Jun 30, 2018
IPVMU Certified

A distributor offering free freight is the same as an integrator offering free installation.

By itself, it says nothing.

You need to look at the whole deal.  

That said, a distributor charging 25% across-the-board better have some pretty amazing prices to compensate.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions