Subscriber Discussion

Why Should We Use IP Instead Of HD Analog Cameras?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Jun 28, 2018

Dear All,

Currently i focus only sale and do Analog HD Camera for CCTV Project. And for now i want to change to IP Camera, so i would like to know the main for suggest to Customer to change from Analog HD to IP Camera. Currently i work on HIKVISION brand HDTVI 2MP, 3MP, 5MP.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 28, 2018

How large is the project?  There may not be many compelling reasons if this is a small project.

(1)
Sean Nelson
Jun 28, 2018
Nelly's Security

Are you just looking to expand your horizons or looking to do a hard shift?

The main reason I think you would want to switch to IP on some jobs is easier infrastructure installations. No need for direct home run cable runs from each camera to the DVR like you do on HD analog. You can simply plug an IP camera into the network and as long as your NVR is hooked up to same network, you can pull in the video feed. For large jobs, IP is most always the best way to go.

The main argument for IP over HD over Coax was the "resolution" argument. In other words, there is no resolution limitations with IP. But that argument is becoming less valid with the advent of 3,5, and now 8MP Coax Cams. We just received the 4K TVI cameras in and they are just as brilliant as any IP camera and comparatively lower costs. Sure, IP still goes higher than 8MP, but most cameras being sold today are generally 8MP or less.

IP Cameras most generally have more configurable settings as well compared to the HD over coax counterparts, but not sure if you consider that a huge advantage or not.

Since you have been doing HD Over Coax for so long, you may have a hard time justifying switching to IP on some jobs because of the higher costs. We still sell much more IP than we do HD Over Coax, but I think that attributes to our selling style and what we push more of because we have been selling IP for so many years when HD over coax was limited out at 2MP. We have customers who wont do anything other than HD Over Coax and they sell it well.

In closing, I wouldnt hard sell one over the other in all circumstances. You just need to consider all things and choose whats best for the scenario. 

(6)
(6)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jun 28, 2018

IP over coax is not a reality to be built into cameras? Go figure. No need for tx/rx ethernet over coax converters that should only be application specific. One could probably do Ethernet+GSM over coax and incorporate an Android camera/router/AP/IoT, everything in one device.

Seems we are still stuck in the SILICON AGES. I hope the comet hits Elon's Tesla Car Satellite when it enters our atmosphere.

(1)
Rainald Schulte-Eppendorf
Jun 28, 2018
Santa Cruz Video Security LLC
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 28, 2018

Currently (as far as I know) some exclusive benefits of an IP Platform bundled with a mid-high range VMS software are:

- FisheEye Dewarping assisted by GPU graphics processors that can assist the main CPU on heavy video tasks. Dewarping straightens the original distorted-rounded. There are indeed FishEye Analog HD -and even older SD resolution fisheye cameras in the market still- but the Linux-Standalone DVR's embedded software is not capable of neither CPU nor GPU dewarping; you have to view the distorted live/recorded view always as is.

- Typically an IP platform allows the customer to grow rapid and easily in terms of adding more future hard disk storage space, up to thousands of Terabytes even. While a typical Analog camera connected to Linux-standalone DVRs has 1, 2 or 4 maximum internal HDD bays, an NVR has 4, 8, 16 or more bays. The customer can easily purchase, let´s say 4 hard disks first, and keep adding more in the 2nd. phase of a project, if there are still empty bays and needs more recording days.

- Many NVRs have front-loading drive bays, you just stopped the recordings temporarily and remove any of the hard disks. A typical Linux-standalone DVR has to be turned-off completely and then open the case with screwdrivers. Front-loading affords the customer rapid service, and increase productivity time with minimal video recordings time lost.

- The newest Face Recognition, AI and deeper Video Analytics functions like Heat Maps are exclusive to IP Megapixel cameras.

- Thermal imaging for human/vehicle detection in complete darkness is also exclusive to IP cameras.

(1)
(1)
Ml
Mendy lewis
Jun 29, 2018
Safezone24

HD analog , more expose to ground loop interference, and other interference from many sources like power line etc 

with IP  I never got any of this if it’s the limit you good to go, no surprises 

(2)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jun 29, 2018
MIZELA CORPORATION • IPVMU Certified

Start with your existing customers by converting their system from analog to IP network using encoders. You can migrate legacy analog system to a network-based IP-system. They can still use their existing analog cameras, hence enabling to migrate to a full digital system.

Video encoder converts a standard analog video feed into a digital stream, enabling you to send the captured digital images over an IP network. View live images on your IP network using video management software then add IP-based cameras once they have the budget. In this case you are helping your customer appreciate converting their system to IP network system depending on their budget. At the same time you learn the loops of integration.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #5
Jun 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

And for now i want to change to IP Camera...

Why?

UE
Undisclosed End User #6
Jun 29, 2018

Could you answer this question before asking: Why should we not not use IP instead of HD analog cameras?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 30, 2018
IPVM

#6, the most common reason for using HD analog over IP is product pricing. HD analog cameras and recorders are significantly less expensive than their IP counterparts. On the other hand, due to the race to the bottom, both are still relatively inexpensive so many avoid HD analog given its other limitations.

HD analog tends to be more popular in countries / regions with lower GDP per capita where product pricing is more of a significant factor.

(1)
(1)
Anton Miller
Jul 01, 2018
Shaked Projects

Simple projects/customer on budget+existing infrastructure  = HD analog

Anything other than that = IP

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions