IPVM
Security Event...

Read the full report here
Ari Erenthal
Jul 02, 2018
Chesapeake & Midlantic

"Hey, what are we calling our new security event?"

"Uhhh... I dunno, I'll think of something."

"Well, the sign guy is on the phone and he says he needs to put something on the order form."

"I'm busy looking up train schedules. Tell him to just pencil in 'the security event' and I'll call him back when I think of a name."

"Sure thing, boss. Boy, you sure are smart!"

(1)
(6)
Sean Nelson
Jul 02, 2018
Nelly's Security

"One more question Boss, when should we do this thing? ISC west is the most popular show in the world and they do it in early april"

"Sure whatever, that sounds good, lets do it then"

"oooo....kay"

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 02, 2018

hosted in IFSEC's old city, Birmingham

And for that reason, I'm out.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 02, 2018
IPVM

As Americans, London is definitely better as there are many direct flights there but almost none to Birmingham. However, there are lots of European direct flights to Birmingham.

More broadly, it will be interesting to see how many people value the experience of a trip to London vs Birmingham. I am guessing for UK people, who are the target here, if they want to go to London, given the short distances, it's pretty easy to go without having to go to a show.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 02, 2018

So travel to/from Birmingham, UK sucks as much as travel to/from Birmingham, US eh???

Coincidence?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 02, 2018
IPVM

Birmingham, UK is the second largest city in the UK.

Birmingham, USA is the 107th largest city in the US.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Jul 03, 2018

Going to London at a reasonable hour is costly for Locals. Travel on trains (as would be the only reasonable way) has a massive cost as it's peak travel time. That's to say not everyone lives in London!

If your destination is London before 9:30 the ticket cost is higher, so to visit you would like to be arriving London at a later time, to major stations, Victoria/Waterloo/Euston etc then on top the additional time to get to excel. Most people buy a day travel card which allows most tube stations also.

Whereas the NEC at least you can drive there, into the car park, and a short stroll to the exhibition halls. And the train to Birmingham is also respectable. 

International visitors.

The convenience from the all be it small airport to the NEC is a joy to take, you get off a plane, walk to the monorail and arrive at the NEC. in just a short time from landing.

If someone was to visit from outside Europe I would for sure break down a direct flight via another destination so to go directly to Birmingham International.

There are reasonable coach services from Birmingham - London Heathrow 20 time a day. But it's a 2hr + trip.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/Landing/route.aspx?to=Birmingham&from=Heathrow  (Select Birmingham Airport NEC)

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 03, 2018

This is meant to be a local event, and as such there biggest problem will probably be international exhibitors (I.E. not based in the UK. ) If I am a foreign manufacturer, with only one marketing team, and i have to choose between going to isc or going to the uk I think isc will be more attractive.

(3)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jul 03, 2018

Problem for IFSEC is that it has turned into a European show and yes, it attracts European visitors due to its London location. The problem is, IFSEC used to be the UK security show and by moving to London it has lost focus on the UK market. Excel is difficult to get to unless you fly into London City Airport, it's expensive to both stay and eat out and where in Birmingham everyone used to congregate in one main location (Broad Street) in the evening so you could meet lots of customers and friends easily - not so in London. It will certainly be interesting to see the footfall in April and how IFSEC responds - if at all.

(3)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 20, 2018
IPVM

Update: IFSEC's head salesperson Peter Poole recently quit and has now joined as a consultant to 'The Security Event':

Joining the team in September, Peter Poole will play a key role as an event consultant, developing the show’s proposition and strategy as well as working with partners and exhibitors to ensure a successful return to the industry’s home at the NEC Birmingham. Peter has spent thirteen years in the security industry as a key figure of IFSEC / FIREX - helping businesses connect, promote and develop their international growth through exposure and new revenue opportunities.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 31, 2018
IPVM

Update: This new competitor to IFSEC now has a new competitor from IFSEC targeting same group and place (integrators / Manchester) for November 2019:

Supported by IFSEC organiser UBM, Pro-Activ has announced the inaugural SiX event for November 2019 at EventCity, Manchester

JH
John Honovich
Apr 23, 2019
IPVM

Update: The Security Event 2019 reports 5,912 visitors. By contrast, for Americans, ISC East 2017 had ~6,1000 visitors and ISC East 2018 reported 7,500 visitors.

For a first time and for what seems to me to be a 'regional' show, those are not bad numbers.

By contrast, though, IFSEC reported 27,500 visitors last year.

The interesting matchup will be next year, where the two UK events dates are converging: The Security Event is moving 3 weeks later to end of April while IFSEC is moving up a month to mid-May. 

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions