Subscriber Discussion

Facial Recognition For Time / Attendance And Access Control - Pros/Cons?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 20, 2018

Hi All, my company is actively looking into pilot testing Facial Recognition for Time and Attendance and potentially access controls.

During the last ISCWest we observed multiple FR solutions but the one that caught our attention was "Sentinel watch", does anyone have any feedback on this company and its solution?

If someone has any experience implementing this type of requirements, I would appreciate if you can share the lessons learned.

Thanks!

JH
John Honovich
Jun 26, 2018
IPVM

#1, the good news is that the applications you want are a lot easier to do than video surveillance based facial recognition, since the users will be actively presenting themselves to the camera.

Have you thought about iris? I think iris is likely to work better and more robustly than face.

As for Sentinel Watch, they are a startup, with 6 employees currently listed on LinkedIn, whose website tagline is "Sentinel prevents crime." Given that there are a number of mature biometric based access / Time and attendance systems out there, I don't see the need to use a risker, early stage company.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 26, 2018

John, thanks for the feedback and agree!.. from your professional opinion, is there any other solution in the market that has improve their FR capabilities that we should look into it?

Regarding the time and attendance biometric system, we have used fingerprints and we have experienced fraud (mainly in Asia Pacific) in the past with finger tip rubber thumbs. is there any iris application/hardware that stands out from the rest available in the market?

Brian Rhodes
Jun 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

is there any iris application/hardware that stands out from the rest available in the market?

For fingerprints:

In general, a reader that includes one or more Liveness Detection Solutions will mitigate fake fingers or atypical dermal thickness caused by wearing finger cots or print films.

Usually optical sensor type equipment (not conductive strip or capacitance type sensors) and most difficult to fool when combined with Liveness Detection.

For Iris:

Spoofing or fooling iris readers is less of a problem in contrast to the physiological ones.

Reader positioning and location is important, because even modest backlighting can create reading difficulties. Iris readers can be difficult to position for all users, who have different heights and standoff distances.

We covered one reader that includes a wider reading area than typical: Princeton Identity Access 200 Iris Scanners Examined.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Other popular Iris brands, per (member) Favorite Biometrics 2018 survey:

Specific Reader Brand Mentions

Several integrators shared particular brands or fingerprint reader offerings they have most success with. However, most admitted experience with other reader types and brands are limited, mainly due to lack of demand:

• "The best I've used is TBS, their read speed and reliability is the best I've come across in finger only setup. "
  • "Really like fingerprint as we've had really good luck with Invixium units."
  • "Face, Stonelock. It is contactless, accurate, and easy to enroll."
  • "LG Iris scanner. Excellent standalone unit suitable for use on dirty building sites where builders have gloves on covering worn fingerprints"
  • "Techsphere Hand Vascular Reader VPII-X. lowest false rejection or acceptance rates. Solid performance after 5 years experience."
  • "The Morpho/Idemia Sigma has been a solid and consistent finger print reader. It integrates easily with the WinDSX software and allows for a single point enrollment. The combination of biometric and card allows for increased security."
  • "EYELOCK hands down... most accurate and dependable system for biometrics. Better than facial recognition and dont have to touch the device to use it. Most of my customers do not want finger print or handprint due to the Flu and other viruses can be passed between people. Only drawback is indoor use only at this time."
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions