Subscriber Discussion

Quiz Question Objections

Andrius Dapkevicius
Jun 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Dear All,

First of all, I want to thank for this course, which I believe benefited all of us. However, before the final test I want to address few questions in previous test which in my opinion were ambiguous.

1. Week 1, lenses: Which lens below most likely has best low-light performance?

It depends on F-stop, which is ratio of lens length and aperture. It is difficult to say from the photo which diameter is biggest, but it is clear which lens is the longest. I do not have deeper knowledge on lenses, so this is all I see. In your explanation for the correct answer it was written: "Lens A has a f-stop of 1.4 (On the label if you look close)". I feel some discrimination here against poor eyesight and small monitors. I happened to do this test on small monitor as well and didn't saw any distinct numbers on the lens. 

2. Week 4, FOV: Which of the resolutions below is the minimum that will deliver 100 PPF over a 15 foot wide FoV?

" 1080p
" None of the above
" VGA
" 720p
" 5MP
" 10MP

In order to check this, I used your calculator and camera finder:

720p and 1.3MP gives 85.3PPF; 1080p gives 128PPF; however I noticed 2MP selection in between:  which gives 106.7PPF. I know that sometimes 1080p is also called 2MP, therefore, I have checked camera finder if there is separate section of 2MP cameras. And yes, I have found that it is two separate sections of 2MP and 1080p, which gives different results on cameras:

Therefore, I have assumed that it is just my lack of knowledge and there exist as well 2MP cameras, which are just not very popular. Since you have asked for MINIMUM resolution that that will deliver 100 PPF over a 15 foot wide FoV, the answer is "none of the above", because 2MP camera brings 106.7PPF:

In my opinion, you should have not given an option of "none of the above" or should have not given such ambiguous interval.

To sum up, I appreciate all the test questions, because they are interesting and makes you think and check for information, however, I hope that in the final exam there will not be such ambiguous cases. Thanks again.

(2)
JM
Justin Matos
Jun 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I had trouble with the first question also, picking lens B due to the shorter focal length. I didn't realize that I needed to zoom in on the image to get the f stop number.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jun 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for raising these questions!

1. Objection noted.  I'll add a zoom window showing the lens spec larger on that.

2. 2MP is not 'one of the options below' to chose from. As you note, it moves from 1080P to 720P.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions