Subscriber Discussion

Axis Adds LPR - License Plate Verifier Examined

Sean Patton
Jun 14, 2018
xxx Axis is releasing a License Place Recognition software application called License Place Verifier (link). Overview Camera based LPR, similar to offerings from Hikvision (ipvm test). Based on cor...

Read the full report here
Ross Vander Klok
Jul 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We are looking to implement an LPR system to control access for registered vehicles at one of our facilities via an existing gate, but right now just in the planning stages.  Hopefully, this is improved upon because I would feel more confident using something from AXIS as opposed to a cobbled together solution using software, camera, VMS from different providers.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 24, 2018

Do you have a current VMS?  We utilize Genetec AutoVu with the Genetec cameras for LPR and we have had great luck with it including exclude lists and LPR as a credential. 

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Jul 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Avigilon VMS and Lenel OnGuard for access control.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 24, 2018

Has there been thought to a windshield sticker style system? We do have a location 3000-4000 employees that uses nedap stickers and readers as Lenel Credentials to initiate the gate open sequence.  It could be more complicated including presence loops, multiple lanes etc.  However, if you are planning to just use LPR the stickers as lenel credentials may also be an option.

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Jul 24, 2018

Ross, have you looked at Avigilons new ALPR solution for ACC6? You can run ALPR on any video feed now with the new ALPR solution. 

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Jul 25, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Thanks!  No, we are literally in the discussion phase so that will now be our first look! 

We currently use RFID readers and a card reader for employees and normal daily traffic, but for frequent visitors/contractors/clients/etc that don't merit getting a access badge or an RFID sticker we have a phone with a camera.  This ties up control room operators and the phones.  If we could  prepopulate the plate info we would be good and the gate would just open.  Lots of issues with this idea though because Michigan only requires plates on the back of vehicles so we would roll it out first in states/countries that require a front plate. 

Also, the cost of our RFID stickers is getting to be ridiculous so that is another reason we are looking for other options.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 25, 2018

Michigan only requires plates on the back of vehicles

Maybe in those cases you can just have people write their plate number on some paper and hold it up to the camera. :)

(2)
(5)
Sean Patton
Jul 25, 2018

Be careful of relying on LPR that is capturing front plates in any areas with snow, or even freezing rain conditions. 

This is a picture of a car after a 40 minute drive through hail/freezing rain. As you can see there's not snow on the ground or on the car, but the license plate is completely covered:

(3)
(3)
Sagy Amit
Jul 26, 2018

I work for a leading LPR manufacturer and in N. America we rarely agree to install Front capture cameras. The snow and mud issues exist on back plates too, but the problem is that even states that regulate Front plates do not enforce their use and in most cases, 15-20% of vehicles don’t have them installed.

(2)
UM
Jul 26, 2018

So you manufacture and also sell to and install for end users?

Sagy Amit
Jul 27, 2018

Negative. We do not install but we usually provide onsite training and support 

(2)
MD
Mark Davis
Nov 09, 2018

Luckily, Oregon requires both front and rear plates...we can setup the system to capture rear plates if that is the preferred option.  

-mark

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 09, 2018

So has anyone ever used any of these camera's to do license plate capture? (these are the compatible cameras from the website)

I have had very limited success reading plates even just for playback verification, I am talking about 24/7 rain/shine or any other weather, real life not ideal lighting conditions. I would be interested if there is anyone who has had success with any of these models.

Clint Hays
Nov 09, 2018

We use the P1365 camera family for LPR/OCR all over the place with very high accuracy. I'm deploying them for proof of concept projects this coming week even to show that you don't need an expensive camera.

(2)
UM
Nov 09, 2018

Clint, but you're not using their ACAP License Plate Verifier (yet), correct?

Clint Hays
Nov 09, 2018

We, ISS, has had our LPR option available for ACAP for a while, but I'm referring to running ALPR or OCR analytics on our VMS. 

(2)
Sean Patton
Nov 09, 2018

I can comment on the P1367-E, Q1765-LE and the P3225-LVE MkII. Simply put, in non-ideal lighting conditions, none of them performed well. The Q1765-LE performed the best out of those 3, but still struggled at night, in parking garages with dynamic lighting conditions, when vehicle speeds were over 10mph.

During daylight conditions, they all performed very well, and I was primarily selling and testing them in K-12 School environments where the real concern was to know who was on campus when children were in school. If they captured plates after hours, that's a bonus, and they understood that.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jul 31, 2019

I believe the Axis LPR camera can now handle high speeds. Any one got more details?

Sean Patton
Aug 01, 2019

Which Axis camera are you looking for details on?

The limitations of Axis License Plate Verifier are software-elated, not specific to the Axis camera used, per the latest LPV specifications (PDF), the vehicle speed is defined as "up to 30km/h (19mph)".

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions